Alvin Robinson Was GOD!

JSngry

I've just been listening to Alvin Robinson's 1969 Pulsar (released & unreleased) sides that Ace put out on CD. Some good stuff - the best of it holds up pretty well with his earlier recordings - but this stuff is more funk oriented. (I probably should say later funk oriented, since the Imperial/Post/Red Bird/ Tiger/Blue Cat sides are definitely funky, but I think you know what I mean.) Anyway, in general, his voice doesn't mesh with the late 60's funk backings and tunes as well as it did with the earlier backing bands - not his fault - he sounded like what he sounded like. It was up to the producer and musicians to deal with that.

Mention should be made of another New Orleans artist, Snooks Eaglin, who also had a strong Ray Charles quality in his vocals - though not as raw as Alvin Robinson's - and who made a lot of fine r&b records for Imperial in the early 1960's. He also recorded more folk-oriented material for other labels.

Edited by paul secor