Early Ellington Questions

Uncle Skid

Where can I find a recording of Black and Tan Fantasy with Bubber Miley on trumpet? I'm looking for the "Victor, 1927" version described in the chapter on "The Ellington Style" in Shuller's Early Jazz.

I have a Columbia/Legacy version (Okeh?), but this one has Jabbo Smith instead of Miley.

And (more generally), where's the best place to start with early Ellington? The numerous recordings on Brunswick, Vocalion, Columbia, Victor and Okeh, as well as all of reissues and compliations has me quite confused.

Thanks -- looks like I need to make another YM order!

Anybody familiar with this compilation - "Early Ellington: The Complete Brunswick Recordings (1926-1931)"?

d35361v9r4c.jpg

I have it and it's great ! I also have the RCA and Columbia early material, and, as might be expected, there are many tunes which are duplicated, but for me that adds to the fun, because you can compare versions and soloists, etc.

I like the Masters of Jazz series, for the fact that everything is presented in chronological order regardless of label, with nice notes in the booklets, and in good sound. Unfortunately, since they are out of print, it can take some doing to complete the 12 volumes, but it is certainly worth the effort.

I have all the stuff that Harold does, and a few volumes of the Masters of Jazz series as well (they even have the soundtrack to the Black and Tan Fantasy film in I think Volume 3).

I love all all all the early Ellington (and so much of the Ellington beyond). I can't be unbiased about this stuff. The MCA three cd set is really good and I thought I had read that it was going out of print. . . . That's a shame.