WUOM facing criminal probe

WUOM facing criminal probe

U-M police investigating operations in wake of Reynolds resignation

Friday, March 03, 2006

BY AMALIE NASH

News Staff Reporter

The University of Michigan Department of Public Safety confirmed Thursday that an investigation into operations at the university's public radio and television service is under way.

DPS spokeswoman Diane Brown said she could not disclose the nature of the investigation or what role it might have played in the resignation Wednesday of the director of Michigan Public Media, the umbrella organization that covers WUOM, 91.7, affiliated radio stations in Flint and Grand Rapids, Michigan Television and the Michigan Channel, which carries U-M programming on the local cable system.

"DPS is conducting a criminal investigation into the operations at the radio station, but I can't comment any further at this time,'' Brown said.

Donovan Reynolds, the director of Michigan Public Media, announced his resignation Wednesday without offering an explanation. He could not be reached for comment Wednesday or Thursday.

Reynolds was appointed to lead Michigan Radio in 1996. Previously, he was executive director of Michigan Public Radio in East Lansing.

No replacement for Reynolds has been named. His departure followed that of Michael Coleman, deputy director at Michigan Public Media, who left in July to become the general manager of the public radio station associated with Wayne State University in Detroit.

Reynolds created a furor shortly after joining WUOM when he changed its classical music format to a jazzed-up mix of news and talk, adding such National Public Radio mainstays as "Car Talk,'' "Fresh Air with Terry Gross'' and "Talk of the Nation.''

Recent Arbitron ratings indicate that WUOM, at 535 W. William St. in Ann Arbor, is the most popular radio station in Ann Arbor, ahead of all Detroit and Ann Arbor commercial stations. WUOM also routinely exceeds its fundraising goals. In 1999, WUOM was named the Best Station in America by the Public Radio Program Directors Association.

Amalie Nash can be reached at anash@annarbornews.com or

734-994-6832.

©2006 Ann Arbor News

© 2006 Michigan Live. All Rights Reserved.

It is with no joy this post is up.

One of Blue Lake's former announcers, Alan Young, became Ann Arbor's morning classical producer and host many years before the NPR news model came through.

Hazen Schumacher's jazz programming pointed the way back to some great music, even though he wasn't everyone's cup of tea. He was a big part of college for me as I played his program Saturday mornings while board operating on WKAR AM. 6 a.m. Hazen. I've wondered what happened to their 78 rpm jazz collection. Heard U of M radio's classical library went to a collector in Germany. And there's Michael Jewett, who learned alongside Hazen and hosted a great Saturday Night Jazz Program on WUOM, still on over at WEMU.

I know WUOM is planning on strengthening their FM signal in West Michigan. They launched a funding campaign a few months ago. When they were all classical Blue Lake "compeated" with them in the Grand Rapids market, if you could call it that. As I said, we turned into a farm club for them in one instance. When they switched to news there was a flood of listeners to Blue Lake, which happened again two years ago when the lone commercial classical station in Grand Rapids was sold to a country format.

In the current political climate of the country who knows what is really happening.

In the current political climate of the country who knows what is really happening.

I'm not sure what national politics has to do with the investigation of this station.

Obviously WUOM was succeeding in their mission, but an audit possibly spotted some problems. I am not in a position to judge this matter, but universities have to be on top of budgets, due to the problems that can be caused if matching grant money has to be returned after an audit, not to mention that members and underwriters want their gifts to be spent wisely.

Having living in Ann Arbor at the time, being a classical musician myself, and seeing the many people layed off when they gutted THAT programing avenue, I have no kind words for the man who did this. If he did something positive later on that doesn't excuse the way he ignored the public of Ann Arbor and treated those people.

Well, a good example of how the current national political climate influenced public broadcasting was the horrible Tomlinson affair. The current political climate has free and open reporting in it's sights. There's a lot of pressure from the right aimed at Universities these days, too. But, as I said, who knows. Ken makes a good point. This could be anything. Nuts and bolts or dirty tricks. Time will tell.

As a veteran of public radio, no format can be taken for granted. There is an increased pressure on many university-licensed public radio stations to increase their own fundraising to cover expenses, as universities want to route more money from public broadcasting to academics. Classical may have a loyal fan base, but if the demographic is aging in a market and membership income is stagnant, a change may be called for by the local management. Nor should jazz, news or any other format be taken for granted in any market, just because it has been in place for years.

Again, I'm not about to judge WUOM about whether it should have changed formats in the first place, but if underwriting and membership gifts increased, along with Arbitron audience estimates, it would seem to me that there were some tough but wise decisions made.

As a veteran of public radio, no format can be taken for granted. There is an increased pressure on many university-licensed public radio stations to increase their own fundraising to cover expenses, as universities want to route more money from public broadcasting to academics. Classical may have a loyal fan base, but if the demographic is aging in a market and membership income is stagnant, a change may be called for by the local management. Nor should jazz, news or any other format be taken for granted in any market, just because it has been in place for years.

Again, I'm not about to judge WUOM about whether it should have changed formats in the first place, but if underwriting and membership gifts increased, along with Arbitron audience estimates, it would seem to me that there were some tough but wise decisions made.

I have the same argument with the Museum of Fine Arts here in Houston about dumbing down their film program to attract some kind of new audience. I see their point, but I think it's a very sad commentary on our times when the bottom line affects those institutions that SHOULD operate on a higher plane of thinking.

U-M stations chief: I blew the whistle

He says practices were suspicious

March 7, 2006

BY MARYANNE GEORGE

FREE PRESS ANN ARBOR BUREAU

Donovan Reynolds said his resignation "is not tied to the criminal probe" and that the organization "needs a new start."

The former director of the University of Michigan's public radio and TV stations said Monday he blew the whistle on suspicious business practices at the stations, spurring a criminal probe and internal investigation.

Donovan Reynolds, who resigned Wednesday from his job as director of Michigan Public Media, said when he learned in November of "suspicious business practices," he reported it to U-M administrators and the U-M Department of Public Safety.

"My resignation is not tied to the criminal probe," Reynolds said Monday. "I resigned because serious things occurred on my watch and I had to accept responsibility. ... The organization had gone through serious trauma, and I think it needs a new start."

Reynolds would not give details about what he reported, and officials from U-M also refused to discuss the nature of the investigations.

The news comes just weeks before the stations launch a major spring fund-raiser on March 31. The goal is $612,000.

The stations are Michigan Radio, WUOM-FM (91.7) with affiliates in Flint and Grand Rapids, Michigan Television, WFUM-TV (Channel 28), and the Michigan Channel, a cable affiliate.

Reynolds is at least the third person to leave Michigan Public Media since November. Justin Ebright, an eight-year employee and development director for Michigan Radio, left Nov. 14, according to U-M spokeswoman Julie Peterson.

Jeremy Nordquist, an account executive for Michigan Public Media, left Jan. 25, Peterson said. She declined to comment on the circumstances of the departures.

Neither Nordquist nor Ebright could be reached for comment Monday.

Peterson said Reynolds voluntarily resigned and that he brought information to administrators that launched the internal probe, which is focusing mainly on Michigan Public Radio.

Diane Brown, a spokeswoman for the U-M Department of Public Safety, declined to identify who called police, launching the criminal investigation.

Reynolds came to Michigan Public Media in 1996 from Michigan Public Radio in East Lansing, where he was executive director. He created controversy when he changed the format of WUOM, the National Public Radio local affiliate, from classical music to news and talk, but the number of listeners and donations soared.

Recent Arbitron ratings show WUOM is the most popular radio station in Ann Arbor. The station raised more than $923,000 during its fall fund-raiser.

In addition to listener contributions, the station also received $508,000 last year from U-M, more than $486,000 from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and $1.3 million in cash, goods and services from businesses and organizations, according to U-M records.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Ann Arbor News:

WUOM probe checks gifts, fundraising

Officials investigating whether gift-giving was legal, attorney says

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

BY ART AISNER

News Staff Reporter

The criminal investigation into University of Michigan public radio station WUOM involves the station's fundraising and whether employees improperly received gifts from businesses mentioned on air, said an attorney representing a former employee questioned by police.

Dan Geherin, the attorney for Justin Ebright, the station's former development director, confirmed Monday that Ebright was recently interviewed by investigators with the University of Michigan Department of Public Safety.

"The station has incentive programs put in place to reward top employees, and they're looking into if some of the incentive programs crossed the line into criminal behavior,'' Geherin said.

Authorities are checking on whether gifts were given to station employees by businesses - including meals at local restaurants - in return for on-air mention, Geherin said. The likelihood of charges hinges on whether or not authorities determine that taking the gifts was illegal or a violation of the station's policies, he said.

No criminal charges have been filed as of Monday, and may not be, he said.

"I don't know if even one person, or two, or maybe 100 will be charged in this. It is an odd investigation,'' Geherin said.

Geherin said at least one other sales employee under Ebright's supervision, Jeremy Nordquist, was recently interviewed by police.

Nordquist, an account executive, was fired in January. His attorney, Tom Moors, did not return messages from The News Monday. Moors told a Detroit newspaper that Norquist, in addition to meals, received a pool table and Persian rugs as performance bonuses. Nordquist is challenging his dismissal. Geherin would not comment on whether Ebright received similar bonuses.

Diane Brown, spokeswoman for U-M police, said Monday she couldn't comment on the nature or scope of an ongoing investigation.

The U-M administration is also conducting its own audit and formal review of the station's development operations, said university spokeswoman Kelly Cunningham, who declined further comment.

The probe began shortly after Donovan Reynolds, director of Michigan Public Media, said he notified authorities in November after finding irregularities with the station's development operations. He began supervising the development department last June. Reynolds resigned his job earlier this month, saying he had to take responsibility since the investigation occurred while he was director.

Michigan Public Media is the umbrella organization for WUOM, 91.7-FM, and affiliated radio stations in Flint and Grand Rapids; Michigan Television, the public-TV channel that broadcasts from Flint; and the Michigan Channel, which carries U-M programming on local cable systems.

Art Aisner can be reached at aaisner@annarbornews.com or 734-994-6823.

©2006 Ann Arbor News

© 2006 Michigan Live. All Rights Reserved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve Schram named interim director at embattled Michigan Public Media

Susan Whitall / The Detroit News

March 15, 2006

Veteran Detroit radio executive Steve Schram has been named interim director of Michigan Public Media at the University of Michigan, effective immediately. Schram replaces Donovan Reynolds, who departed last week at the same time a criminal investigation of fundraising incentives at WUOM-FM was launched by the U-M Department of Public Safety.

Michigan Public Media includes Michigan Radio, an NPR news station broadcasting in Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Flint, and Michigan Television, a PBS member station broadcasting in Flint.

Schram, a 1975 Michigan State graduate with a degree in television and radio, has held the two top radio jobs in Detroit. From 2003-2005, he was senior vice president and director of sales for Infinity (CBS) Broadcasting's six-station Detroit cluster. Currently Schram heads up his own company doing media consulting.

From 1996-2002, he was vice president and general manager for Clear Channel's seven Detroit-area radio stations.

Schram also brings experience working for online giant AOL, as part of its web properties group, a job he held between his Clear Channel and Infinity gigs.

"I am very pleased to join the team at Michigan Public Media," said Schram in a statement released by U-M. "These dynamic broadcast voices educate and inform their listeners at the very highest levels of excellence. I look forward to growing their impact and success."

U-M President Mary Sue Coleman commented: "Our public radio and television stations make an important contribution to community education and an informed public dialogue in Michigan. I am pleased that Steve was available to contribute his business expertise to the stations during this period of transition."

Schram, a Detroit native, grew up listening to Detroit radio of the 1960s, and with his friend Scott Westerman, another MSU grad, founded the website keener13.com, an homage to long departed WKNR-AM, their favorite rock station.

• 3 weeks later...

March 15, 2006

Veteran Detroit radio executive Steve Schram has been named interim director of Michigan Public Media at the University of Michigan, effective immediately. Schram replaces Donovan Reynolds, who departed last week at the same time a criminal investigation of fundraising incentives at WUOM-FM was launched by the U-M Department of Public Safety.

Michigan Public Media includes Michigan Radio, an NPR news station broadcasting in Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Flint, and Michigan Television, a PBS member station broadcasting in Flint.

Schram, a 1975 Michigan State graduate with a degree in television and radio, has held the two top radio jobs in Detroit. From 2003-2005, he was senior vice president and director of sales for Infinity (CBS) Broadcasting's six-station Detroit cluster. Currently Schram heads up his own company doing media consulting.

From 1996-2002, he was vice president and general manager for Clear Channel's seven Detroit-area radio stations.

Schram also brings experience working for online giant AOL, as part of its web properties group, a job he held between his Clear Channel and Infinity gigs.

"I am very pleased to join the team at Michigan Public Media," said Schram in a statement released by U-M. "These dynamic broadcast voices educate and inform their listeners at the very highest levels of excellence. I look forward to growing their impact and success."

U-M President Mary Sue Coleman commented: "Our public radio and television stations make an important contribution to community education and an informed public dialogue in Michigan. I am pleased that Steve was available to contribute his business expertise to the stations during this period of transition."

Schram, a Detroit native, grew up listening to Detroit radio of the 1960s, and with his friend Scott Westerman, another MSU grad, founded the website keener13.com, an homage to long departed WKNR-AM, their favorite rock station.

March 15, 2006

WUOM, as heard 30 or 40 years ago down here in ohio, before the proliferation of FM stations blocked it from hearing, remains one of the greatest listening experiences of my life. schumacher and the other programming was beyond awesome. i remember chad and jeremy on the station probably 45 years ago.

if a piece, classical, jazz, or otherwise was junk, they called it junk.

WDET, too, in the mid 60's was really hip.

their signal blasted down here into midohio.

and to think it has come to this.

Edited by alocispepraluger102