Classic Records reissue of Hank BN 1560

Parkertown

Hey gang,

I'm seeking opinions on this reissue. I picked one up a week or so ago, a complete impulse buy, from the Virgin Megastore in downtown Denver. I even paid full retail price!!! (or more; it was $33.99!!! )

But it had a SEVERE sibilance problem. Absolutely unlistenable, especially Side 1 where the ride cymbal sounded like water hitting the deep-fryer... Argghh!!

I'm trying to determine if this is an isolated incident, or if it's truly a bad pressing?

I was able to return it for store credit, which I'll probably use to order "Jutta Hipp & Zoot Sims." :)

So, how was yours? :huh:

It's on mine, too. On my system it's pronounced, but not unlistenable. Or, the other sound qualities offset the hot cymbal.

I do not consider it a bad pressing, but I understand your disappointment. I've heard worse.

It's very common on BN's, reissues or originals. One of these days I'd like to hear what Grundman thought about working with these tapes.

Edited by wolff

It's on mine, too. On my system it's pronounced, but not unlistenable. Or, the other sound qualities offset the hot cymbal.

I do not consider it a bad pressing, but I understand your disappointment. I've heard worse.

It's very common on BN's, reissues or originals. One of these days I'd like to hear what Grundman thought about working with these tapes.

For that price, these should be purrrrfect...

Seeing this got me reaching for the Mosaic LP set to see if this is also adversely affected - just played record 5 side A 'Fit For A Hanker'. Ride cymbal is quite prominent in the mix but plays back fine, no problem.

Thanks for checking. I've got the Mosaic cd set, and it sounds fine on there.

One that is worse, IMO, is Lee Morgan Vol.3 (1557).

I remember you saying that, so I'm gonna steer clear of that one, too.

Any comment on the Hipp/Sims, Wolff? Surely you got it, right? :)

Wonder how the recent Toshiba Japanese pressings compare? They're priced about the same.

Are these what you are referring to? Comments taken from this SITE.

Mar. 24, 2004 “Blue Note 65th Anniversary” Series, Limited Edition, by Toshiba EMI

Our dream has come true - Toshiba EMI decided to release Blue Note reissues even in this year 2004! This series (20 titles) is to celebrate Blue Note's 65th anniversary. And this series has several specialities...

This is the first Japanese LP reissues ever, from the tapes mastered by Rudy Van Gelder himself. And it must be noted that the cutting engineer of this series is the famous Toru Kotetsu, a superb cutting/pressing engineer in Japan.

However in my humble opinion, this series actually sounds like that they are pressed using the same remastered tape as “24bit by RVG” CD reissues: stereo mixing has been changed to near-monaural soundscape; I feel the atmosphere of hiss-noise and cymbals sounds rather digitally. But it's not certain whether Toshiba used newly remastered analogue tape or digitally remastered tape.

And all titles of this series come with coated cardboard jackets, as well as 180g heavy-weight thick flat vinyls.

UPDATE (Aug. 15, 2004):

I found an interesting (and very important) article on a Japanese vacuum-tube quarterly magazine “Kankyu Oukoku” (The Tube Kingdom) Vol.33 (2004 Summer). On this magazine, there is a special article regarding this newest Toshiba LP reissues - auditioning these LPs, comparing the sounds with old Toshiba LPs, King LPs, Connoisseur LPs and original issues (such as 47 West 63rd), etc. Interestingly, the writer concludes that this newest Toshiba LP issue deliver the “atmosphere” of RVG's sound. On the other hand, the writer had an interview with Tohru Kotetsu (cutting engineer) and he confirmed this LP series was pressed from 3/4-inch digital tape remasetered by RVG.

Can't help, as the Hipp is one I do not have.

Thanks, bud. :tup

Wonder how the recent Toshiba Japanese pressings compare? They're priced about the same.

Are these what you are referring to? Comments taken from this SITE.

Mar. 24, 2004 “Blue Note 65th Anniversary” Series, Limited Edition, by Toshiba EMI

Our dream has come true - Toshiba EMI decided to release Blue Note reissues even in this year 2004! This series (20 titles) is to celebrate Blue Note's 65th anniversary. And this series has several specialities...

This is the first Japanese LP reissues ever, from the tapes mastered by Rudy Van Gelder himself. And it must be noted that the cutting engineer of this series is the famous Toru Kotetsu, a superb cutting/pressing engineer in Japan.

However in my humble opinion, this series actually sounds like that they are pressed using the same remastered tape as “24bit by RVG” CD reissues: stereo mixing has been changed to near-monaural soundscape; I feel the atmosphere of hiss-noise and cymbals sounds rather digitally. But it's not certain whether Toshiba used newly remastered analogue tape or digitally remastered tape.

And all titles of this series come with coated cardboard jackets, as well as 180g heavy-weight thick flat vinyls.

UPDATE (Aug. 15, 2004):

I found an interesting (and very important) article on a Japanese vacuum-tube quarterly magazine “Kankyu Oukoku” (The Tube Kingdom) Vol.33 (2004 Summer). On this magazine, there is a special article regarding this newest Toshiba LP reissues - auditioning these LPs, comparing the sounds with old Toshiba LPs, King LPs, Connoisseur LPs and original issues (such as 47 West 63rd), etc. Interestingly, the writer concludes that this newest Toshiba LP issue deliver the “atmosphere” of RVG's sound. On the other hand, the writer had an interview with Tohru Kotetsu (cutting engineer) and he confirmed this LP series was pressed from 3/4-inch digital tape remasetered by RVG.

Ooooh, they sound poopy... :huh:<_<

I think they sound nice; I don't get a digital "feel" from them at all, whether or not their initial mastering is digital. The Kings are better, for sure, but these sound less like CDs on wax than some previous (GRP for example) reissues.

Also, pretty sure some of those Toshibas are pre-2004; I know I was buying some before that, though who knows if the mastering is any different on those.