Artists that retired at the top of their game.

Hardbopjazz

Two items. Hal McKusick is well known to a friend of mine. I don't know about antiques, but he is an expert horologist. (Down,boy. It means clockmaker/repairer) and he does live on Eastern Long Island.

My other contribution is to list Jeri Southern as someone who quit while very popular, not to mention that so did Lee Wiley. Wiley did come back mjuch later in life to a Carnegie Hall concert and a record date, but she was clearly past her prime then.

Stan Levey

Mel Powell

Powell just "shifted" his attention to "classical" composition.

He didn't quit music, but did quit jazz, so I figured he counted for the purposes of this thread.

I can't say I'm a huge fan, but he was a talented man. Gunther Schuller rates him highly as an arranger for Goodman's orchestra.

Edited by Kalo

Powell was an interesting guy - there's actually a recording he did for Commodore in the 1940s with a large group that is quite advanced and "avant garde", especially for jazz at the time - can't remember the name of the tune - Balliett did a good interview with him - he made a brief jazz comeback that was recorded on a jazz cruise, but his playing sounds quite terrible on it - and he is now dead - I love his jazz playing from the 1940s and 1950s - old style rhythm, very modern harmonically

Edited by AllenLowe

Powell was an interesting guy - there's actually a recording he did for Commodore in the 1940s with a large group that is quite advanced and "avant garde", especially for jazz at the time - I love his jazz playing from the 1940s and 1950s - old style rhythm, very modern harmonically

As Allen says, "old style rhythm, very modern harmonically," which is exactly what I have found to be intriguing about Powell, myself.