Tim Green

johnagrandy

I'm just getting into Tim's music. Another New Orleans great I missed out on until now.

Can anyone knowledgeable on Tim get this thread going, 'cause he deserves some serious discussion.

All I can say is that as far as the soul-jazz, jazz-funk (whatever you want to call it) sessions I've heard him on, I've never heard anyone play that style as well as he does.

What's amazing to me is that in a genre where staying cool and funky is elemental and virtuosity is incidental, Tim is as understated as he is ingenious.

Sets the place on fire while remaining totally cool.

This is a good read:

http://www.tipitinas.com/features/Tim_Green/tim_green.htm

Edited by johnagrandy

For those without time to read that interview , here's the short scoop:

1. first started playing at 19, gigging within 2 weeks

2. never recorded as a leader

3. sideman on at least 50 records

4. at time of interview, was playing with 20 bands

(I have only heard of Cyril Neville, Russell Batiste, Johnny Vidacovich, but other bands include steel drums, Indian ragas, blues, avant garde, dance bands, 3 female vocalists and composers -- which I think is really cool, I want to see a lot more women make it in jazz)

5. extensively involved with helping the blind

(a) managed a radio station for the blind

(b) received Point Of Light from Bush his work

(ironic post-Katrina that Bush once cared about N.O.)

6. has never drank or used any street drugs entire life

7. highly spiritual and religious

8. not originally from N.O. but considers it his destiny to be a New Orleanean

9. never stops practicing (like Trane and Gilmore)

I hope Katrina didn't mess up Tim's life and work too much. Figuring that out is my next goal.

Haven't heard of him before this, but he sounds like somebody I'd like. Do you have any favorite albums, John?

He's absolutely killin' on Robert Walter's "Super Heavy Organ". I can not stop listening to that session. Addiction.

The other stuff I have someone sent me in the mail and I don't even know what it is. But I've ordered some CDs .... so I'll let you know.

Is he the same Tim Green that appeared on a recent Dennis Gonzalez recording?

Yes.

Tim Green played on DG's Old Time Revival and Home. Great player. I think Dennis told me year or so ago that Tim's been playing with Cyril Neville pretty much full-time post Katrina. That he was on the road a bunch playing many of the gig opportunities that opened up for New Orleans-based musicians after Katrina.

I can ask Dennis for an update if you would like. Or you could wander over to the Jazzcorner forum and inquire yourself. Dennis has his own thread there in the "ask the musicians" section. I would guess a search of that thread would pull up additional info on Tim. The way Dennis has spoken of him I'd say they are pretty close.

Haven't heard of him before this, but he sounds like somebody I'd like. Do you have any favorite albums, John?

He's absolutely killin' on Robert Walter's "Super Heavy Organ". I can not stop listening to that session. Addiction.

The other stuff I have someone sent me in the mail and I don't even know what it is. But I've ordered some CDs .... so I'll let you know.

I highly recommend Tim on Dennis Gonzalez' Old Time Revival. It's a limited edition release and I bet there are not many copies left. You can order directly from Dennis.

Dennis Gonzalez

I highly recommend Tim on Dennis Gonzalez' Old Time Revival. It's a limited edition release and I bet there are not many copies left. You can order directly from Dennis.

Dennis Gonzalez

Says there's almost none left. Hope Dennis gets my e-mail before the dog eats them or the police seize them or Kenny G buys them all up or something.

Edited by johnagrandy

Just found this:

------------------------

cleger09-01-2005, 04:17 PM

Saw this on another site wrt Tim Green:

Yes, we spoke tonight. He is at the point where he is accepting that he will probably never have the same life ever again, and that New Orleans will never be the same again. He is basically homeless, and his only possessions are his tenor sax, his briefcase, and the clothes on his body. he doesn't even know if he still has his house, his antique cars or his bass sax, which he plays so beautifully. He thinks his car in at the airport on higher ground, but he doesn't know anything for sure He's ready to start his new life. He'll fly into Dallas on Friday. It'll be good to see him.

I can't imagine the bleakness of the outlook for people who call New Orleans home."

------------------------

Also read somewhere that when Tim escaped NO he went to SF.

It's rather confusing finding info on Tim, because a few jazz musicians of note are named Tim Green.

Tim Green the pianist : http://www.timgreenjazz.com/

Tim Green the alto saxophonist in NYC (now LA ?) , plays with drummer Kevin Kanner and trumpeter Ambrose Akinmusire (out of Berkeley High, one of my hopes to finally revive some real innovation on trumpet since Woody departed).

• 14 years later...
  • 2 years later...