PICKLES!

I should stop in at the Pickle Guys and stock up.

There used to be a Hot Pepper shop on Sullvan St. years ago and I got on a kick of buying a lot of different hot sauces. There was one with garlic that was perfect for use on garlic pickles.

And a beer. :excited:

Goes well with Jazz too.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I love pickles. I got addicted to them at a very young age when I was growing up in Israel. In America my favorite pickles are the ones from Trader Joe's. I used to not like the Clausens but my opinion has changed over time. When I open up a pickle jar I usually devour about five or six which is probably really bad for me. :)

Oh -- my grandmother pickles cucumbers and serves them as a salad. Probably the best pickles I've ever tasted!

Guy

Damn. I'm standing alone for Vlasic?

Shit, I can't even find those bastards on the left coast.

It used to be hard to find them here in Eugene Oregon. For a time Fred Meyer (now owned by Krogers) was the only store to stock them but now Albertson's does too, and maybe even Safeway.

Talk it over with your grocer. Seriously, those guys who stock shelves can make good pickle things happen.

Is Trader Joe's the new Wal-Mart?

Them's fightin' words, bub! :angry:

Trader Joes is one of the best grocery store chains on the planet, and I miss 'em something fierce down here... :(

I've never been to one (I think the nearest one is in the Detroit area, but I could be wrong)... I just keep hearing about them and how great they are and it makes me think that they'll soon take over the world, like Sam's Club or something, and drive all the local guys out of business.

Hey, in today's naive question, what defines a "bread and butter" pickle? Why are they called that?

It's a very sweet, almost candied, pickle that's cut into farily thick slices. Called that, I'm told, because the old folks used to make sandwiches out of them using, you guessed it, bread and butter. Sounds gross to me, but so does buttermilk, and the old folks loved that too.

But the pickles by themselves are delightful in small doses.

Trader Joes is one of the best grocery store chains on the planet, and I miss 'em something fierce down here... :(

I've never been to one (I think the nearest one is in the Detroit area, but I could be wrong)... I just keep hearing about them and how great they are and it makes me think that they'll soon take over the world, like Sam's Club or something, and drive all the local guys out of business.

A new Trader Joe's just opened here in Albuturkey, but I haven't been yet (there's been one open in Santa Fe for a couple of years). We always stock up on the nototrious "Two Buck Chuck"; Charles Stewart, a drinkable California wine for two bucks a bottle ($2 in CA, $3 here in NM). Need to check out the pickle aisle, I guess.

West Coast represent!

Trader Joe's is a great grocery store. Nothing like Walmart, Sam's Club or Costco. More like Whole Foods or PCC, if you have them. Great, healthy stuff. Unbelievably cheap. It's not the best place to go for produce, but is for olive oil, specialty cookies, walnuts, tofurky, wine. Great stuff.

My favorite sandwich invention of 2005 is the PB& dried bing cherries from Trader Joes. Yum.

Oh yeah, and pickles.

Trader Joe's will never drive other stores out because they carry far fewer items than big grocery stores, including Whole Foods. It's more like a bargain "gourmet" store. It's pretty much guaranteed that you won't find everything you want or need at Trader Joe's, so you definitely have to supplement by going to other places. They have great deals on what they do carry, though. I rely on them for nice prices on certain staples, but they don't have very good produce, for instance.

Edited by Kalo

Man, I love pickles. I got addicted to them at a very young age when I was growing up in Israel. In America my favorite pickles are the ones from Trader Joe's. I used to not like the Clausens but my opinion has changed over time. When I open up a pickle jar I usually devour about five or six which is probably really bad for me. :)

Oh -- my grandmother pickles cucumbers and serves them as a salad. Probably the best pickles I've ever tasted!

Guy

I had trouble getting used to the idea of putting pickles on a falafel or other Middle Eastern-type sandwich. It doesn't seem right to me, for some reason, yet I was told that's the most authentic way to do it. The Falafel Palace in Cambridge's Central Square was the first time I had the combination, sometime last year.

How about non-cucumber pickles? My grandfather used to pickle unripe tomatoes, and one of my father's friends used to do habanero peppers, or something like that. I've done a couple of kimchi experiments - the first batch came out pretty good, the second, not so much (but the carbon dioxide buildup in the jar did lead to hilarious results when I opened the thing). I'm sure I wasn't doing it the authentic Korean way, though...aren't you supposed to bury the jar in the ground or something?

A new Trader Joe's just opened here in Albuturkey, but I haven't been yet (there's been one open in Santa Fe for a couple of years). We always stock up on the nototrious "Two Buck Chuck"; Charles Stewart, a drinkable California wine for two bucks a bottle ($2 in CA, $3 here in NM). Need to check out the pickle aisle, I guess.

Actually, it's Charles Shaw, not Stewart. I miss having a Trader Joe's a 10 minute walk away. I almost never bought the gourmet prepared stuff, but as has been noted, they can't be beat on staples like bread, milk, and eggs. They are also my favorite place to buy beer and wine. Many of the wines are roughly 25% cheaper than you would find in a liquor store - the delicious Lolonis organic fume blanc is like $11 at TJ's versus $15 at most other places. And the store's beer buyers seem to have some a knack for getting great deals, though the selection is limited. Definitely the only place in Boston where you could get a 6-pack of the Anchor Liberty Ale for $6.99, and local microbrews sometimes for under $5.50. Maybe I'll make a run to one of the SF stores this weekend...too bad they're so much further away now.