LF:CTI & More

our beloved Hiroshi Tanno can't help me this time so maybe someone here has a lead or wants to unload a japanese release

this is what i'm looking for:

MTCJ-4001 Airto - Fingers

MTCJ-4002 Freddie Hubbard - Sky Dive

MTCJ-4004 Gabor Szabo - Rambler

MTCJ-4005 Hubert Laws - Carnegie Hall

MTCJ-4009 Freddie Hubbard - First Light

MTCJ-4012 Mulligan/Baker - Carnegie Hall Concert

MTCJ-4015 Hubbard/Turrentine In Concert Vol.2

MTCJ-4017 Art Farmer - Something You Got

MTCJ-4018 Freddie Hubbard - Keep Your Soul Together

MTCJ-4019 Freddie Hubbard - Polar AC

MTCJ-4021 Roland Hanna - Preludes

TOCJ-68043 Benny Green - The Blue Notes

thanks in advance for any reply :)

Marcus Oliveira

Edited by marcoliv

Guest akanalog

i don't think you will be able to find anything which is not currently availble via jpop or vibrantsound. the other link didn't work.

i am looking for a few japanese things and it just isn't possible to find them.

maybe on ebay or amazon once in a while, but if it isn't around, none of the japanese places selling new stuff are going to be able to get them.

the worst will be sitting on your ass for like a month thinking a place is ordering what you want. take it from me-you will be sitting there forever.

it is frustrating and it sucks.

this is the main sucky thing. japanese CDs are still listed a lot of places-but they won't be able to get them for you.

mr. tanno is a good example. if it is around, he can get it. but CDs in japan aren't like here. when they're gone, they're gone. but they might be back soon!

i have been asking around and searching and have yet to find a reliable source of hard to find or OOP japanese CDs.

i did just get lucky and find a disc i wanted on ebay but i have been searching for it for like a year.....

how do you know when a japanese cd is really out of print and not only out of stock say for 1 or 2 months ?

take the japanese mini lp cds: how high is the manufactured quantity for example a prestige sonny rolllins mini lp cd ?

do they manufacture them in one run and thats it, or several times depending on how good it is selling ?

Edited by jbs-tom

Guest akanalog

someone somewhere around here, perhaps mr. chuck said it well-basically he said that the japanese sell CDs as magazines are sold here in america.

akanalog, thanks for your inputs. my expectations about those websites was really low

here is the correct link for the first one

Collector's Items

Marcus

Mundo is very good, but always check the date of last update for the artist page as that will give an idea whether he still has it or not. If it hasn't been updated in a long time, likelihood goes way down.

As to the comment that in Japan CD's are sold like magazines, well...that's not very accurate. Magazines have a set shelf life, when it's expired (a month for monthlies) copies still in circulation for the most part get returned and scrapped. The print run attempts to estimate that month's demand for the issue. In Japan CD manufacturing and marketing is not like that at all. A CD in Japan is assigned a catalog and issued a catalog number, the production quantity is usually limited to that run (although not always) and the size of the run is estimated either to pump up sales via exclusivity (ie - it might have sold 500 copies if it had been released as a standard issue, but because it is a limited edition not to be repressed they make and sell 5000) or to be sufficient to fill demand until that demand starts to taper. Once that run is sold out, clients can still order the title, but not until there is sufficient new demand does it get repressed again - and then, it will be assigned a new catalog number and resolicited all over again - because the resolicitation gives the manufacturer an estimation of the required size of the production run.

In this way, the need to maintain large inventories stretching over several years, or to be constantly pumping out smaller, inefficient runs is avoided. It makes sense, because if they only make enough to fill reasonably imminent demand, they aren't held back by slow moving catalog inventory when there is an opportunity to reissue a title with improved mastering.

Guest akanalog

many of mundo's artists haven't been updated in years! thumbs down.

and robert h, maybe in theory that is how japanese discs work-but the fact of the matter is-if you try finding a disc a year or two after it was issued-you can't. and it will be a long time before you see it again. there are a number of japanese discs i have been searching for for years (a mikio masuda disc and a terumasa hino disc and a masabumi kikuchi disc and a george ohtsuka disc, for instance) and they never reappear. maybe i am looking for obscure stuff and there isn't a demand for it-but as far as i can see, once something is out for a bit you can forget about seeing it again. you need to jump on japanese discs ASAP or lose the opportunity.

our beloved Hiroshi Tanno can't help me this time so maybe someone here has a lead or wants to unload a a japanese release

by the way, Collector's Items (www.mediawars.ne.jp/~collect/collecta.html), VibrantSound (www.vibrantsound.com) and JPopHelp (www.jpophelp.com) are reliable sources?

Marcus Oliveira

Sky Dive is available from Amazon Japan.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...4591794-6631412

our beloved Hiroshi Tanno can't help me this time so maybe someone here has a lead or wants to unload a a japanese release

by the way, Collector's Items (www.mediawars.ne.jp/~collect/collecta.html), VibrantSound (www.vibrantsound.com) and JPopHelp (www.jpophelp.com) are reliable sources?

Marcus Oliveira

'Fingers' is available from HMV Japan

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=388373

The Benny Green you want is on the Somethin' Else label and is extremely rare and oop.

I have grave doubts that you'll ever be able to find it on line.

Edited by kinuta

and robert h, maybe in theory that is how japanese discs work-but the fact of the matter is-if you try finding a disc a year or two after it was issued-you can't. and it will be a long time before you see it again. there are a number of japanese discs i have been searching for for years (a mikio masuda disc and a terumasa hino disc and a masabumi kikuchi disc and a george ohtsuka disc, for instance) and they never reappear. maybe i am looking for obscure stuff and there isn't a demand for it-but as far as i can see, once something is out for a bit you can forget about seeing it again. you need to jump on japanese discs ASAP or lose the opportunity.

It's not in theory.

It's REALITY.

If you read my post at all, I said - repressings are based on DEMAND - only when the order level reaches the point where it's needed.

The stuff you are looking for is without a doubt obscure, and as such there is likely no demand past the first pressing. I can assure you - Dark Side of The Moon does not stay out of print long in Japan, nor does Giant Steps.

In that sense you are correct - for oddball stuff, get it when it's released. Then again, that's true outside of Japan also. Difference is - and the greatest thing about the Japanese market - that kind of stuff gets released in Japan at all. There's piles of stuff there that will never make it out domestically.

thanks for the inputs so far

Mundo has not replied after a week my email inquiring about some CTI releases. are they usually lazy answering emails?

Hiroshi found at least Jackie & Roy's A Wilder Alias for me. Afro Classic & First Light are ordered through HMV Japan. hopefully they'll be available

thanks in advance for any help :)

Marcus

Edited by marcoliv

• 6 months later...

I've been dealing with Ray at Mundo for some time and have never had a problem with him. I think I have occasionally waited a while for a response; but never long enough to try my patience.

And he's NEVER told me he could get something and failed to do so pretty quickly.

I suspect he only updates his artist pages when someone asks him for something and he finds he can't get it. He's mentioned the need to update a page to me once or twice under those circumstances.

I assume he's responded to you now.

MG

marcus -

if you're more interested in the music than the mini-lp packaging, king is just underway with 20 titles in a 1500 yen cti reissue program. from your list, only 'polar a/c' (kicj-2172) and 'fingers' (kicj-2154) have been reissued.

some might be interested in bill evans 'montreaux II' (kicj-2177). anyhow, i'll keep an eye out and let you know if any of your other wish list items appear.

regards,

-e-

ps: king records page link

• 5 years later...