Obscure Jimmy Smith LP?

riverrat

Not sure why my original post wasn't showing up (probably operator related).

Anyway, I found this LP at Goodwill, picked it up for 25 cents: "Jimmy Smith Swings Along With Stranger in Paradise".

The lp is in good shape.

Can anyone tell me more about this session? AMG does not list it, but I did find a couple copies available online, so I don't think it is rare.

Edited by riverrat

2621m.jpg

JIMMY SMITH - SWINGS ALONG WITH STRANGER IN PARADISE

TRACKS STRANGER IN PARADISE, JIMMY'S JAM, IT'S A SIN TO TELL A LIE, I CAN'T GIVE YOU ANYTHING BUT LOVE, I HAD THE CRAZIEST DREAM, TELL ME ABOUT IT NOW, I HEAR A RHAPSODY, JEEPERS CREEPERS, JIMMY'S SWING, MISERY

COMMENTS Pickwick reissue of UpFront label lp, inc some of his earliest recordings

2621m.jpg

JIMMY SMITH - SWINGS ALONG WITH STRANGER IN PARADISE

TRACKS STRANGER IN PARADISE, JIMMY'S JAM, IT'S A SIN TO TELL A LIE, I CAN'T GIVE YOU ANYTHING BUT LOVE, I HAD THE CRAZIEST DREAM, TELL ME ABOUT IT NOW, I HEAR A RHAPSODY, JEEPERS CREEPERS, JIMMY'S SWING, MISERY

COMMENTS Pickwick reissue of UpFront label lp, inc some of his earliest recordings

That's the one!

The tunes seem to be duplicated (in the same sequence) on the fairly recent Machete label CD, "The Fantastic Jimmy Smith."

Correct; this note from the cd universe site:

This is an expanded edition of THE FANTASTIC JIMMY SMITH, originally released on the Upfront label in the early 60's. Personnel includes: Jimmy Smith (Hammond B-3 organ); Don Gardner (vocals, drums); Al Cass (tenor saxophone).. Recorded between 1953 & 1955. Includes liner notes by Larry Hollis. All tracks have been digitally remastered. Personnel include: Jimmy Smith (Hammond b-3 organ); Don Gardner (vocals). Liner Note Author: Larry Hollis

This is an expanded edition of THE FANTASTIC JIMMY SMITH, originally released on the Upfront label in the early 60's. Personnel includes: Jimmy Smith (Hammond B-3 organ); Don Gardner (vocals, drums); Al Cass (tenor saxophone).. Recorded between 1953 & 1955. Includes liner notes by Larry Hollis. All tracks have been digitally remastered. Personnel include: Jimmy Smith (Hammond b-3 organ); Don Gardner (vocals). Liner Note Author: Larry Hollis

These recordings are by the Don Gardner Trio, recorded in the years before Jimmy was "discovered" by Blue Note. The sessions were recorded for a small New York label named Bruce, who originally released some of the sides on singles. The LP came out in the early 1960's to capitalize on Jimmy's fame. I believe the Pickwick release precedes the Upfront, which dates from the early 70's.

Thanks for providing the historical info.

Are any of you folks vinyl fans? I don't currently own a turntable, and I don't plan to get one. I just thought I should rescue this lp from Goodwill where it was gathering dust.

The jacket still has the cellophane, and while there is no inner sleeve, the record itself appears to be in mint condition.

Obviously, I don't need to sell this for very much to recover my costs!

Hey, if it's cheap, pick it up. I have a vinyl copy lying around somewhere. I don't think it's worth much money.

Yes, I already did for 25 cents. I'm trying to determine if anyone would like to have it- I'm not a vinyl guy. I would pass it on for my packing and shipping costs, if anyone is interested. I agree that this is not a rare item though. But this copy is in near perfect shape.