Lawyer drops dead while arguing case

From CNN.com

Friday, April 21, 2006; Posted: 1:08 p.m. EDT (17:08 GMT)

RALEIGH, North Carolina (AP) -- A defense lawyer was arguing a drunken driving case when he fell on the courtroom floor and died of an apparent heart attack, officials and friends said.

Bailiffs and a police officer tried to administer CPR immediately after 57-year-old Tom Farris collapsed Thursday in the Wake County courthouse.

Emergency personnel arrived less than six minutes later.

Farris had previous heart problems, said Duncan McMillan, a friend and fellow lawyer.

McMillan said neither the rescue workers nor the court building had defibrillators, which can sometime revive patients by delivering shocks to the heart.

The county allocated money last year to buy the paddles but has been studying where they are needed.

The courthouse should have at least four defibrillators before June, county spokeswoman Sharon Brown said.

I guess he died doing what he loved. Anyway, I think the odds that the county will face a lawsuit are particularly good. But what really seems odd/unreasonable and even tragic is why the rescue workers didn't have a defibrillator or didn't use one at any rate.

And the worse part is the poor MF can't sue anybody over it.

No, seriously that's a sad story. But like you said he went out doing his thing like Caruso or that umpire John McSherry. Anybody remember that? he was calling a play on opening day maybe 9 years ago. Dropped dead on the field in front of like 40,000 onlookers.

Aren't you all glad I dropped by to lift your spirits? :party: