Buena Vista Social Club

A week ago I went to see The Buena Vista Social Club in concert. It was their first concert of four in england as part of their european tour. I had never seen them live and was not sure what to expect. It was a sell out and the audiance were getting seated when they started playing latin lift (elavator) music over the theatres sound system, which did not make me feel good about the concert. There was no need to worrie as an eleven piece band took to the stage, from the first beat of the congas the whole stage just exuded rhythm. From the second beat the audience was with them. This was a band of supereb musians playing music that they loved and with a very high jazz content, which I have not heard on their recordings. There was no warm up act and no breaks, just music, music, music. I think it is one of the best concerts I have been to in reacent times.

Sounds like it's worth attending.

I saw the Afro-Cuban All Stars of Juan Marcos Gonzalez live several years ago at the height of their popularity after the movie, and was somewhat disappointed.

Do you have a personnel listing somewhere?

Sounds like it's worth attending.

I saw the Afro-Cuban All Stars of Juan Marcos Gonzalez live several years ago at the height of their popularity after the movie, and was somewhat disappointed.

Do you have a personnel listing somewhere?

Double Bass - Cachaito Lopez,

Guitar/Keyboard - Manuel Galban,

Trombone - Aguaje Ramos,

Trumpet - Guajiro Mirabal,

Piano - Roberto Fonseca,

Trumpet - Luis Alemany,

Saxes/Clarinet - Javier Zalba

Vocal/Keyboard - Idania Valdes,

Vocals - Calunga,

Congas - Terry Domech,

Timbales/Percussion - Filiberto Sanchez.

The pianis was brilliant. Do you know what Javier Zalba looks like, because the sax player looked like an english school head master, tall, thin, bald and very white but he could certainly play.