Christian McBride/Weather Report

Cali

Caught this group yesterday at the Verizon Festival in Pasadena. Featured in the group were Ron Blake and Geoff Keezer. What surprised me is they played a very Weather Report-like set, even playing Zawinul's "Sweer Nighter". It was a dynamite set and the whole group was "on".

My question is when did McBride go down this path? I have never heard him play like this. Is this what his new cd sounds like? If it does, I'm buyin'.

I saw the McBride show when they passed through Stuttgart back in March. It was a great show (double bill with Gary Burton/Makoto Ozone)! McBride was very talkative, and was really enjoying playing with the guys in his band. I really like Vertical Vision - if you liked the show, definitely pick up the disc! Ron Blake plays great, and my copy (Euro. edition) has some live video on it as well. Was Terreon Gully playing drums with him still?

I caught McBride doing the WR thing about a year ago at Yoshi's. In fact, it was being filmed/taped but I don't know whatever happened with that. Anyway, the band was just smoking. I don't remember who was in the band, just remember that I like it. It was the first time I saw him with his own band, and not with some other headliner.

Saw McBride more recently with Diana Krall at Yoshi's and that was interesting. Honestly, it was.