Jazz For A Sunday Afternoon

DrJ

I stumbled across this single CD 1993 reissue from BN in NYC a few years back at a used store. Had never even heard of it, but the line-up alone made me take the plunge without hesitation:

Joe Farrell - tenor

Marvin Stamm - trumpet

Garnett Brown - trombone

Chick Corea - piano

Richard Davis - bass

Elvin Jones - drums

Recorded live at the Vanguard - October 1, 1967

Produced by Sonny Lester for Solid State; remix/restoration by Malcom Addey

It turns out this was recorded the same afternoon as the more well-known Dizzy Gillespie recording LIVE AT THE VILLAGE VANGUARD (BN, 2 CD set). The liners peg it accurately as "a friendly jam among musicians whose paths had crossed often in a variety of settings." Everyone plays well, and it's a real pleasure to hear people like Stamm and Brown get some extended solo space. Of course Farrell and Jones are always a pleasure to hear, and I just can't get enough of Corea in this early phase of his career, where his playing was so fresh and new.

You get three longish performances:

13 Avenue B (Farrell) - 22:51

Stella By Starlight (N. Washington/V. Young) - 22:06

Bachafillen (G. Brown) - 15:03

The first two tracks were issued in edited form as sides 1 and 2 of the Solid State album (SS-18052) while "Bachafillen" was not issued until this CD. Sound quality is very good.

I highly recommend this one if you can locate it - if for no other reason than it sits nicely alongside beauties like NOW HE SINGS, SONG OF SINGING, TONES FOR JOAN'S BONES, and the IS sessions and rounds out any "early Corea" collection.

I had only been familair with the old SS album and a subsequent release of the (I think) unedited first 2 cuts on LRE, or whatever that bizarre Lester-consrtium label is that releases Solid State stuff even though EMI owns it (never could get Tom to adress that matter on Board Krypton, nor where the facsimile LP reissues of some UA material that Dusty Groove (the bastards!) sometimes sell came from. I smell a Morris!). Found this BN CD used last year, and picked it up.

It's good. REAL good in fact. Joe Bob says check it out. :tup:tup:tup:tup

• 2 weeks later...