AOTW, May 21-27

ep1str0phy

d83736i02rl.jpg

Ornette Coleman: tenor saxophone, trumpet

Charlie Haden: bass

Rec: 1977

...a delightful, unusual offering by the always compelling dyad of Ornette Coleman and Charlie Haden. This album documents Ornette's only full-length album of duet performances, a series of nuanced, emotionally dynamic departures on some new and strange tunes (dig: the theme to 'Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman'). The 'freer' duo context is plain and not a little unnerving; there are no easy outs, no trap doors--dangerous work in these harmonically and rhythmically obscure waters, every fluff, clam, and lapse of taste in stark relief. But--our two musicians fly far higher than they fall low, and few other recordings (if any) can match this one as a testament to the expressiveness and exhilirating challenge of Ornette's music. Theme... freedom--and these cats can move, play, fox, and outfox like no one out there. These are whimsical, melodically-rich performances, mini-tapestries of ideas and emotions--and, forgive me for wandering off into superlative, but there's something so weighty and direct about these sides... a thrilling sense of human realism--not quite revolutionary, but 'psychodramatic'--and, frankly, I've never heard either Haden or Coleman sound so real or 'whole' on a single album. There are people here, not just sounds or icons--and I simply can't forget.

Notes: this is one of Coleman's few outings on tenor, surprisingly lithe and inviting in these environs (compare to the earlier Atlantic date--among the darker, more distressed offerings in the harmolodic oeuvre). Haden is the perfect equipoise: tough, jaunty, and articulate (in that typically rough-hewn Haden way). Ornette's trumpet--featured on the 'ballad' feature 'Some Day'--never sounded so beautiful, and there's a brightness and fluidity to his phrasing that recalls Don Cherry's more inventive moments.

Edited by ep1str0phy

Also worth mentioning (and forgetten above): Ornette and Charlie's collaborations on Closeness and The Golden Number. One alto duo, one trumpet; 'O.C.' is marginally less balanced than the Soapsuds sides--somewhat anxious, if typically virtuosic--and the trumpet piece ('The Golden Number') is, again, rather interesting (Coleman's brass skills were flourishing in this period--too bad they aren't so well documented).

I just listened to this very recently. I never gave it a lot of time for some reason so I can't comment except that there is another album of duets; the one with that piano player who's name I can't remember, Joachim? It was his last official album so far (1997!)

I just listened to this very recently. I never gave it a lot of time for some reason so I can't comment except that there is another album of duets; the one with that piano player who's name I can't remember, Joachim? It was his last official album so far (1997!)

Joachim Kühn

Challenging duets with Ornette Coleman settling in through the energetic support of Haden.

Haden is excellent throughout but the results might have been even more interesting if Scott LaFaro had been in on bass!

I have the vinyl album of this. With its gatefold cover, eight page booklet (with Ornette and Haden discographies)and a couple of charts. Nice albums from Artists House those were!

Edited by brownie

I have the vinyl too. I also have the cd but unfortunately it is dubbed from a pressing.

Was under the impression that John Snyder took extra care of his products. If he did not make it back to the original tapes, does it mean they are lost?

I have the vinyl too. I also have the cd but unfortunately it is dubbed from a pressing.

I have both too. And I'm afraid you're right.

You can hear it clearly when you listen to the CD throught earphones.

Edited by P.L.M

I have both too. And I'm afraid you're right.

You can hear it clearly when you listen to the CD throught earphones.

Quite a bit of background noise on the CD reissue (including some fairly prominent tape 'echoes')--does the LP sound that much better?

• 2 weeks later...

Great compositions and the playing by Kuhn and Coleman is sublime. They have had an ongoing collaboration for about ten years, as a duo, trio with Denardo, quartet wtih Denardo and Charnette Moffett, and soon quintet with Ornette's current group.

Ornette has also recorded duets with Joachim Kuhn's brother Rolf on the CD "Affairs", with Geri Allen on the CD "Eyes in the Back of Your Head", with Yochk'o Seffer on the CD "Ornette Forever", and with Pat Metheny on the CD "Song X" (the cut "Song X Duo"). He also performed as a duo with Denardo on the White House lawn 6/18/78 and in Verona Italy 6/6/80