Remixes - What's The Protocol?

JSngry

Ok, I'm not talking about "vault remixes", I'm talking about the remixes that get put out on a contemporaneous release. I'm wondering who decides that a remix can/will be done, and who decides who's going to do it. Is it entirely a label/producer decision, or is the artist involved at some/any stage?

I'm sure it varies from case to case, but I'm talking about what "the norm" is.

Seems to me that there's some creative work going on in this field, as well as a lot of bullshit. But the announcement of the upcoming Ellington Mosaic got me to thinking that Ellington was maybe the/one of the original remixers, often recording the same song in different versions for different labels in a relatively short time frame. Yeah, in a lot of ways (some of them pretty fundamental) it's not the same. But then again, in a lot of ways (some of them equally fundamental), it's not all that different. It's still a matter of taking the raw materials of a song and making the same different, which in turn highlights that the different is still the same.

Anyway, that's not really the point. I'd just like to know the "usual process" that goes on for a song to be released in several different versions at the same time. It's something that interests me at this juncture.

As always, thanks in advance!

I don't know what the "norm" is, but two things occured to me: 1. my copy of the recent Ron Blake CD came packaged with a 2nd disc that had some remixes of a couple of the tunes (multiple remixes by different DJs). I have to assume that Ron had approval/instigated that. 2. Reading Michael Henderson's comments in the liner notes of the Miles Cellar Door box, Henderson talks about Marvin Gaye and says, "...Marvin would experiment a lot (in the studio) with many different musicians. He would cut songs one way, cut them sideways six or seven different ways until he got the sound he really wanted." He goes on to say that this method was similar to how Miles and Richard Pryor worked. So, how different is the process of "remixing" vs. "pre-mixing", a la Marvin recording different versions and picking the one he liked best?

I don't know what the "norm" is, but two things occured to me: 1. my copy of the recent Ron Blake CD came packaged with a 2nd disc that had some remixes of a couple of the tunes (multiple remixes by different DJs). I have to assume that Ron had approval/instigated that.

That, my Albuquerquian friend, is exactly what I'm talking about. Assuming that Blake was the instigating force behind these remixes, I'm wondering how involved in the actual remixing process he was. Did select the DJs, he suggest a general direction/vibe to them, did he work with them along the way, did he send them back if he wanted changes made to the first results, did he etc.?

I must admit, this whole remix thing is not without interest to me. Certainly not a substitute for live music-making, but taking pre-existing "raw materials" and using them for your own creative ends ain't exactly something new...

yea lets fuck w/ the savoy master tapes and loop max's drum riff and put bird solo over a hip-beat

-----whoever thought of that idea i want jack bauer to pull an 'edgar' on

Well....ok. But the original post specified that the question was not about vault reissues.

So, I guess you're not related to Jelly Bean?

yea lets fuck w/ the savoy master tapes and loop max's drum riff and put bird solo over a hip-beat

-----whoever thought of that idea i want jack bauer to pull an 'edgar' on

Well....ok. But the original post specified that the question was not about vault reissues.

So, I guess you're not related to Jelly Bean?

Me thinks he's related to Aric Bean.