Please, Tell Michael About It!

Well Leo Parker's been avatared frequently so, Kevin, if you could express a need to have his Blue Note output tossed on to one of those one-offs that BN does in the middle of the RVG/Conn programs (best of Sonny Clark, Bobby Hutcherson etc). I think this one might actually sell!

The way I figure it, if you just eliminated the short versions of "Lion's Roar" & "Low Brown" and then maybe a non-band-original like "Stuffy", both LMTY'BI and RWL would fit onto one disc. They could even just use the nice McMasters too! ;)

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

I am a huge Leo Parker fan and his Blue Notes get a lot of playing time in my house. I have asked Michael time & time again to try and get these back into print to no avail. As much as I like them and as much as some people want them, historically, they sell poorly. Sure, these classic dates deserve to be in print, but, financially, at this time it doesn't make sense for them to be in print.

As always, this is subject to change. Michael could wake up tomorrow, call RVG and tell him to remaster them. Michael can always change his mind... and with me always asking, maybe his conscience will finally get to him! :D

Later,

Kevin

I was in the Amoeba Record Store in Hollywood a couple weeks ago. They had Spanish reissues of "Rollin With Leo" and a lot of other Blue Note obscurities for $10 a pop.

I know that we must have already discussed this somewhere on this site. But what is the deal with this series? Why is it generally so hard to find?

Edited by John L

As much as I like them and as much as some people want them, historically, they sell poorly. Sure, these classic dates deserve to be in print, but, financially, at this time it doesn't make sense for them to be in print.

Is Leo still alive? Maybe he'd be up for a licensing deal that would help get his recordings in print.

We don't really need Michael for these. There are always the TOCJs and JRVGs, and they would sound better than the rare domestic CDs. I know some people who have those, and one could find them by grubbing around for awhile. It takes time, but I've found that you can track down just about anything if you stick at it.