Organissimo Blindfold Test?

DrJ

...I'm pretty bad about guessing who's who on blindfold tests...

You won't POSSIBLY do worse than me. I've never even tried to do a blindfold test, and estimate I know next to nothing compared to a lot of y'all. I want to hear what everyone chooses, and want to choose something cool for everyone to hear.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the idea of downloads, even with an "anonymous" FTP server is not a good idea. Plus, I'd like to be able to play the music anywhere, and MP3 downloads might be burned but they won't necessarily be playable anywhere.

MP3 to cd-r can be played anywhere (unless you burn a data disc). There's no difference to an audio disc compiled of wavs or tracks copied directly from cd. Why is a webserver a bad idea? With the money that's going to be spent on postage and cd-rs a webspace could be rented. Re legal issues: spreading the music via cd-r is legal but via internet it isn't?

Rooster, I think any material, obscure or not, should be included on your CDR, when and if you make one.

Oh, I see. This isn't just a one-time deal, with everyone submitting one track each. But we're talking about one person picking all the tunes for a CDR, and then a week - or a month later (or whenever) - the next person does the same thing. So we're talkin' a dozen or more CDR's.

Wow - that's alot of music to try to guess what it is!!! :o:o:o

( Like I said - I only skimmed the thread. :w:unsure::wacko::P )

Still, count me in!!! - Sounds like fun!!! :g

Oh, I see. This isn't just a one-time deal, with everyone submitting one track each. But we're talking about one person picking all the tunes for a CDR, and then a week - or a month later (or whenever) - the next person does the same thing. So we're talkin' a dozen or more CDR's.

Wow - that's alot of music to try to guess what it is!!! :o:o:o

( Like I said - I only skimmed the thread. :w:unsure::wacko::P )

Still, count me in!!! - Sounds like fun!!! :g

That's how I read it. Seems a hell of a lot easier to do it that way. I can't wait for the first one!

I think the idea of downloads, even with an "anonymous" FTP server is not a good idea.  Plus, I'd like to be able to play the music anywhere, and MP3 downloads might be burned but they won't necessarily be playable anywhere.

MP3 to cd-r can be played anywhere (unless you burn a data disc). There's no difference to an audio disc compiled of wavs or tracks copied directly from cd. Why is a webserver a bad idea? With the money that's going to be spent on postage and cd-rs a webspace could be rented. Re legal issues: spreading the music via cd-r is legal but via internet it isn't?

Its illegal in all ways. I would just avoid *downloads* because that's what the industry is targeting.

As to your point re: postal and CDR costs-what does webspace cost to rent? Who is taking responsibility for it? This space would have to be dedicated to the blindfold music, because once you start spreading usernames and passwords around, whatever is on that FTP is fair game.

Is the cost for webspace equivalent to a single iteration of the blindfold test or is it a multiple of that? My way, costs are spread out and borne by willing participants. Your way, costs must be shared by all, with the resulting problem of actually collecting that money.

Finally, I personally do not care for an inferior format like MP3. I would rather the music stay in wav or CD quality.

But if you'd like to set up a poll, go for it.

Two more things regarding MP3.

This requires that all moderators work with PC audio and be able to convert vinyl or CDs into MP3s in order to upload them. Some don't have or bother with this capacity and only have burners hooked up to their stereo systems.

Never having downloaded an MP3 myself: isn't broadband connection helpful? Do we want to discriminate against dial-up people because their downloads will take forever?

Well, never having downloaded an MP3, how can you call it an inferior format? If you use the right tools, an MP3 can sound as good as a CD or WAV file. Honest! There are a lot of crappy sounding MP3 files out there, but that doesn't mean that they cannot sound good or even great!

Using MP3's for this project may or may not be illegal, depending on ones point of view. It looks like the RIAA is succeding with thier slash and sue tactics. Everyone is scared to death if they download a song. Its just plain nonsense.

I think the Fair Use statutes in the Copyright act were meant exactly for such a non-commercial group project like this. No one here is out to steal music. It's exactly the opposite! This project will in fact promote sales.

If you all take the time to look at the link I posted above, the program called KDX would be a great way to make this project work. At the very least, it could enhance the project.

Everyone could either upload or send through the mail one song for inclusion in the blindfold test. Then, the person in charge for that month could distribute the blindfold compilation either through the mail, or make the songs available on the KDX server. That way, we can make everyone happy.

It could be a really cool thing!

Jim,

I think most people feel that an individual selecting a group of songs is preferable to a compilation. Just because I have not downloaded MP3s myself does not mean I have not heard them. And no one has explained how non-PC people are supposed to produce these great sounding MP3s for upload. Now Rockefeller is saying that slow-connection people can get CDRs which completely defeats the purpose of an FTP server.

I think the only way to settle this is to start a poll and let the board decide. It will be up in a moment.

Yeah, why can't we do both? That way, everyone is happy! everyone could send or upload their monthly song to one individual, who then distributes the compilation to everyone via mail or download.

No matter what everyone decides, it's still going to be a fun project.

Dan said:

I think it should be done individually so that one person can pick particular music and if he chooses, there can be an overarching theme, perhaps instrument-wise or maybe something like "pop hits covered by jazz artists" or whatever."

Agreed--should be chosen by one person to add to the mystery.

Yes, that was my intention on starting this discussion by posting the idea. One person chooses each time it is done (however often we do the blindfold test).

I will look at the poll re: MP3 vs CD with interest. To be honest, as a new father, if we can find a way to do this without requiring CD-R's to be sent all over the world, and it's not illegal, I'd welcome it. I just don't have the time right now to make a lot of burns and more importantly to mail them, and I'm not even back at work full time yet - wish I did, but babies are a full time (albeit fun) occupation!.