Georgie Auld: DOUBLE IMAGE

DrJ

First of all I think that Fresh Sound, which puts out previously unavailable recordings, and Definitive/Jazz Factory which rips previous CD releases, are two different operations. There was a thread about this on the old BNBB, but unfortunately it isn’t accessible now.

Ocium is a fairly new label. I don’t know if it has any connections with Fresh Sound or Definitive, but it seems to specialize in recordings from the late 40s and early 50s, and from what I can see much of it has not been available on CD before. I think their cover art is firstrate also.

There was a thread about this label on the AAJ board, with a listing of titles and content:

Ocium gets some verve

Ocium has a nicely designed homepage also:

Ocium homepage

Click on ”OCIUM Jazz Releases” then ”Main Catalogue”. From there you can click on the album covers and read about the various releases, including the Auld. It has a Discovery session from 1949 plus sessions for Coral from the early 50s.

I haven’t bought any of their releases myself yet, but there are some I definitely want to get.

A lot of the Ocium cds mix material that HAS been out on cd with material that hasn't, which is a frustrating thing!

What I have of the Auld is really nice music, I'm an Auld fan.

The only Ocium cd I have is the Cobb, and the sound quality is pretty good.

First of all I think that Fresh Sound, which puts out previously unavailable recordings, and Definitive/Jazz Factory which rips previous CD releases, are two different operations...

Fresh Sounds went to some lengths to hide the fact they produce the Definitive/Jazz Factory discs, but distributors send checks to the same address. FS felt bold enough to list these records on their website for a while. I see they are now gone from the FS site, but they don't fool anyone inside the business.

The Ocium Georgie Auld CD has the eight tracks from the January 17 and March 21, 1949 Discovery sessions by the Auld Orchestra. The 16 other tracks - mostly slow ballads

featuring Auld with a rhythm section and sometimes a vocal group - come from the Coral 1951/1952 sessions.

It's a nice way to get some hard to get Auld sides. And the sounds is pretty good.

Not so sure about an Ocium/Disconforme connection. They're both based in Barcelona and

since the jazz community in that city is not very large they must know each others but I

am not aware that they do business together.

As far as European laws are concerned, since they stick to the 50-year music reproduction

copyright laws, Ocium is not doing anything illegal.

But, like Disconforme, they do not do any research of their own. They just copy/steal

music from albums that have been issued before.

For instance on that Georgie Auld CD, there is none of the sides of the Georgie Auld group

with Tiny Kahn that came out on 78s and have never been issued on LPs.

At least the Chronogical Classics people take the trouble to locate very rare 78s to

complete their reissues.

copyright laws, Ocium is not doing anything illegal.

But, like Disconforme, they do not do any research of their own. They just copy/steal

Ocium recently issued a CD of the Norman Granz Jam Sessions #3 & #4.. The Basie led ones.

As far as I know this is the first CD issue of these dates ( unless in Japan.. but I have not seen any indication)

So they are the first out with this.

At least they seem to be trying to have " original" concepts in what they offer.

Disconforme ( Jazz Factory etc.) never seem to be first with any material that appears in their own issues

Ocium recently issued a CD of the Norman Granz Jam Sessions #3 & #4.. The Basie led ones.

As far as I know this is the first CD issue of these dates ( unless in Japan.. but I have not seen any indication)

So they are the first out with this.

At least they seem to be trying to have " original" concepts in what they offer.

I have listened to this Ocium Jam Session vol. 3/4 'Apple Jam'. Superb material with a gathering of greats like Wardell Gray, Stan Getz, Sweets Edison, Benny Carter, Willie Smith...

The Ocium sound does not improve on the Japanese Verve LPs of these.

If Verve had taken the pain to reissue these with better sound, Ocium would have been out of that game. Is anyone at Verve taking the trouble to find out what they sit on?

If Verve had released this, it would have probably been on two separate CDs. I'll settle for Ocium getting into verves pockets.(there was a Basie Big Band, and there's a Basie with Guests which looks like it includes the Clef "KC7" sides too.) until something better comes along.

Apple Jam, the track, on the Ocium sounds as though it was taken from an inferior LP, but the rest sounds O.K. to me

brownie did a nice job of summarizing Auld's "Double Image". A nice introduction to his music if you're not familiar with him. I've been a fan of his for years. He can wrap himself around a ballad as well as anyone I've ever heard. As I've said on another thread, I'd love to see an Auld Mosaic. He's did so many diverse things and played so well in that and so many different genres (including what is purported to be the very first bop recording, Coleman Hawkins' "Rainbow Mist from 1944), I think it would make for a terrific, wide ranging compilation. Just the sort of thing Mosaic does so well.

With regard to the Ocium label, I have one other CD from that outfit, a Gene Ammons called "My Foolish Heart." It covers material he recorded for United, Chess, and Decca in the early '50's. Good stuff. Good sound.

Up over and out.

Thanks for the info on the Ocium release. I'm funny about stuff like this, I'll probably wait (altho maybe for years or in vain) for Verve, Discovery, and/or others to get around to reissuing this stuff properly. European copyright laws regardless, it just bugs me that this stuff can be reissued and his family/estate get nothing. I don't want to contribute to that kind of practice.

I know Auld from sideman slots and own the vinyl of his album for Emarcy IN THE LAND OF HI FI, which is good dance music if not the greatest in terms of Auld as a soloist. I'm hoping to hear a lot more of his work over time, great player.

An Auld Mosaic would be MOST welcome.

Edited by DrJ