Live at the Showboat Philadelphia June 17, 1963

Hardbopjazz

Anyone have this? It has a 2006 release date. I haven't seen it. Don't know much about it. Is the sound good enough to hunt for it.

h36907ly719.jpg

This was just covered under "New Releases" or something.

Haven't heard the sound though the source tape is not good. The performances are good to spectacular, the latter being a 35 minute version of "Impressions" which is quite different from the European versions recorded later the same year.

The discographical information that has been shared by people knowledgeable about the release turns out to be in error. Roy Haynes is not the drummer; it's Elvin Jones. The session is not from June or July. It's August 1963. And the piece listed as "Afro Blue" is, in fact, "The Promse".

Ed Rhodes

Guest youmustbe

The sound is rather good, the performance spectacular, there is a Good Bait that is a killer along with the Impressions and yes it is Elvin.

I have the June with Roy Haynes. McCoy doesn't show up until the set is almost over and there is also at end of night Trane playing After The Rain solo piano.

I've read many times that Roy Haynes replaced Elvin Jones during the summer of 1963, but I caught the group at Birdland in July of that year, and Jones was the drummer. So, I guess the above confirms what I sometimes thought I was imagining. (The other half of the bill was Terry Gibbs, with Coltrane's future wife on piano and vibes.)

Guest youmustbe

I also caught the double bill at Birdland with trane and Gibbs, but I don't remember if it was roy or Elvin...I did hear roy with Trane at Birdland as well as Philly Joe, after Elvin had to go away for a bit, but what month, I don't remmeber.

Alice sounded good - the people sitting next to me thought she out-played Gibbs, but she wasn't quite THAT good. (They did one of those routines where both players play the same set of vibes and trade solos.) It was July of '63, Coltrane opened with "Afro-Blue." I took a picture of the front of the place with the "sandwich" board announcing the double bill - one of those kid's cameras, 120 film (or something) - still have the negative, occassionally pull it out and make a print for someone's birthday; should post it somewhere.