Local 60's bands that made records in your area

dave9199

I've been getting into the Nuggets box sets (1 & 2) and have found a lot of great music on it. I wanted to ask anyone if they had bands from the 60's in their area that they followed or had made records. I was born in 1969 so I obviously don't have any stories, but I grew up near (and did an internship for) WORC in Worcester, MA which claim to be the first station in North America to play The Beatles just before they came to America.

Southwest Louisiana had a lot of local groups record. Later a term was coined, swamp pop, which I never liked, but the genre still sells well. See Floyd's Records under Swamp Pop.

Popular artists were

Rod Bernard

Jivin' Gene

Cookie and the Cupcakes

Johnny Allan

Randy and the Rockets

Bobby Page and the Riff Raffs

Tommy McLain

T.K. Hulin

Warren Storm

Phil Phillips

Dale and Grace

Charles Mann

The Boogie Kings

Lil Bob and the Lollipops

I grew up in North Brunswick, NJ.

Looking Glass (Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)) was from New Brunswick, NJ which is mysteriously north of North Brunswick. :blink:

Lenny Kaye is from North Brunswick, he was/is in the Patty Smith grp and wrote liner notes for the Nuggets comp.

The 1910 Fruit Gum Company was from Jersey too.

I was a teenager (15-19) in Ealing, West London. My area was the patch north of the Thames up to Kilburn - about a sixth of London. In that area, the top band was Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers. Cliff had a great band; two saxes, one doubling on piano, guitar, bass and drums. Cliff himself didn’t play an instrument. As a singer, he wasn’t at all individual, but he could imitate anyone. Cliff could imitate Blues singers, Soul singers, Rock ‘n Roll singers; he could do women or men; and he was really good at it. So was his band, who were real musicians. (A few years later, he signed up with Brian Epstein, who was the Beatles’ manager and got a couple of hits singing Beatles songs.)

In the summer of 1962, the Ealing R&B Club opened, every Saturday night. The first band there, resident for a bit over six months, was Alexis Korner’s Blues Incorporated. Alexis is known as the Father of British Blues. He had actually recorded with real Blues singers like Champion Jack Dupree – and for Atlantic records. Although the band was nominally a Blues band, they played a wider range of music, moving from Chicago Blues of Muddy Waters and Howlin’ Wolf, to Ray Charles and Soul Jazz material like "Back at the Chicken Shack".

As the summer progressed, we found that other Blues bands were developing and working in our patch. In Southall, there was the Mann-Hugg Blues Menn, later called Manfred Mann. In Richmond, there was a band called the Yardbirds, the training ground for Heavy Metal guitarists; Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck were all in that band. And in Hayes, usually sharing the Sunday night gig with Cliff Bennett, there was Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds, with Albert Lee on guitar. Oh, there was also Screaming Lord Sutch and the Savages – not a Blues band but something approaching heavy metal when they weren’t playing the fool with toilet seats. Most of these musicians had been welcomed by Korner sitting in with his band on Saturday nights.

Then Korner got a Saturday night gig up west. In the month or so before he started in Oxford Street, Korner suggested to a number of people who’d been sitting in with his band that they form a new band and take over from him at the Ealing R&B Club. That was the Rolling Stones.

It was great being a teenager in West London!

MG

NRBQ lived in Clinton Corners, N.Y. in 1968. I was staying at a friend's place back then, decided to take a walk down the back roads near his home, and came upon a large old house and a large mailbox with NRBQ painted on it. I thought about knocking on the door, but figured I'd just be be bothering them, and kept walking. Thinking about it now, I should have knocked.

They were too well known to be considered a "local band", but The Band lived in this area for a number of years, and Levon Helm and (I believe) Garth Hudson still reside in this area.

I forgot to mention one band I've heard about since living in CT. A friend's dad was the lead singer for a regional group called Teddy & The Pandas. They did one album. I don't know on what label.

I remember Teddy & the Pandas. They were a teen band from a town north of Boston, Wilmington, I think.

They had a couple of singles out on a local label, and then were signed to Tower (a subsidiary of Capitol), on which they released one LP. AMG has a pretty good entry about them.

There were any number of Boston bands in the 60's that got to record. The best ones were Barry & the Remains (Epic) & The Lost (Capitol). In 1967, MGM records signed several Boston bands and created a marketing scheme around the "Boss-town Sound". The hype included Ultimate Spinach, The Beacon Street Union, and Orpheus. Other Boston bands who made records at the time were Phluph (Verve), Earth Opera (Elektra), Ill Wind (ABC), Eden's Children (ABC), Ford Theater (ABC), Timothy Clover (Tower), Steve Colt & the 45's (RCA, Vanguard), Listening (Vanguard), Orphan(s) (Epic, London), Bagatelle (ABC), Mason & Dixon (Tower), and a number of others I can't recall at the moment.

Lenny Kaye is from North Brunswick, he was/is in the Patty Smith grp and wrote liner notes for the Nuggets comp.

He not only wrote the liners, he compiled the album.

I thought so. I need to get the box.

I grew up in northeast Texas. "Robin Hood" Brians' studio in Tyler ( http://www.robinhoodstudios.com/history.shtml )was home to all sorts of local recording and has achieved a local/regional legend of sorts.

The most familiar (relatively speaking) band to record there was Mouse and the Traps ( http://www.cyserv.com/lsbk/projects.html ), which spawned Texas guitar demi-icon Bugs Henderson. But there were scores of otehrs, none of whom I particularly remember off the top of my head.

WOW ! Lot's from around the Northern Jersey Area.

Passaic was home to Shirelles and Donald Fagen lived here at one time. Joey Dee was born in Passaic, but as far as I know lived in Lodi.

The Tokens were from Paterson as was Jimmy Charles.

The Duprees and Kool and the Gang were from Jersey City.

The Rascals and The Vanilla Fudge were local also. Around the Garfield/Lodi area.

I'm sure I've left out as many as I've put in, if not more.

Oh! The Four Seasons were from Newark.

All these towns are within 10 or 15 miles from one another.

Edited by Harold_Z