strange review of Trio Beyond "Saudades"

CJ Shearn

I heard a strange review of this on NPR's Listen Here by Neil Tesser yesterday. He said he felt the album was lacking something and the trio failed to live up to expectations "both live and on record". Is this guy off his rocker? It seems he missed the point of the music, the trio not playing Lifetime verbatim, but doing their own thing, which is the best form of tribute. They also said "Saudades" is a Brazillian tinged title track, where do they hear that? To my ears I hear it as a loose funk-rock tune. Jazztimes also gave this one a weird review too, stating the music is more "Back At the Chicken Shack than Lifetime". :blink:

Edited by CJ Shearn

Well, I've just got back from North Sea having seen this band live and can confirm it has to be one of the greatest gigs I've ever seen. These guys kicked ass - and the interplay between DeJohnette and Scofield was a joy to behold. Surpassed all expectations (which were already high). :)

awesome. Was the setlist similar to the album?

Off the top of my head (and in case I forget):

They opened with a magnificent version of 'The Moontrane'

Then a composition by Larry Goldings (can't quite recall the title for the moment)

Then 'Big Nick' (even better than the Lifetime original)

Then 'I Fall In Love Too Easily' (tributes to Miles all round on this one - a fabulous performance)

Then 'Spectrum' to finish off with (**** hot)...

Not sure if I have missed a title ot two off or got the track order quite right.

By some miracle I snagged a central seat on the third row - the house was packed to capacity !

:excited:

Edited by sidewinder

oh wow. maybe someone has additional live shows of these guys? I know some radio/TV stations in Europe broadcast stuff from Northsea often. So, on the album review subject you think Tesser (who I've seen write in Downbeat and Jazz Times I think) missed the point of the music and this "tribute"? And Lazaro, I agree! the way they do the head is just amazing, like "holy shit!!" :cool:

oh wow. maybe someone has additional live shows of these guys? I know some radio/TV stations in Europe broadcast stuff from Northsea often. So, on the album review subject you think Tesser (who I've seen write in Downbeat and Jazz Times I think) missed the point of the music and this "tribute"? And Lazaro, I agree! the way they do the head is just amazing, like "holy shit!!" :cool:

I didn't see any TV cameras in operation at this particular NorthSea concert, sadly. Interestingly, Jack DeJohnette got quite shirty at one stage with members of the audience who were filming the show (stated as 'forbidden by Trio Beyond') or using photo flash. Rightly so IMO - the flash photography was very distracting.

The silver lining on this was that it made him hit the drums twice as hard. :)