Litchfield Jazz FEstival

relyles

I spent the day on Saturday under the tent at the Litchfield Jazz Festival in Goshen, CT. During the ten hours I spent shielded from the threatening rain I heard six performances. There was not a dud in the bunch.

The day started with pianist David Berkman in a quartet that also featured saxophone player Dick Oats, bassist Ugonna Okegwo and the very musical drummer Bill Stewart. Solid set featuring interesting compositions by Berkman and very good contributions from all the musicians.

Next was Jane Bunnett & the Spirits of Havana. Prior to yesterday I had not heard any of Bunnett's music and this was a pleasant introduction. The group played an infectious brand of Afro-Cuban jazz that in the end made me wonder whether I had just participated in a Yoruba ceremony. It was also obvious that Bunnett has taken the time to investigate this music and create something of substance. For the most part I did not pay attention to the individual contributions of the musicians, but Bunnett did have a couple of interesting solos on soprano.

The third group was one of the highlights of the day for me - Mulgrew Miller & Wingspan. Joining Miller were Steve Nelson on vibes, trumpeter Duane Eubanks, Antonio Hart on alto and soprano saxophone and a bassist and drummer that were unfamiliar to me. The group featured pieces from Miller's latest recording on Maxjazz, The Sequel. Miller has the ability to write some gorgeous melodies that provide excellent backdrops for the soloists. On Saturday Hart and Nelson were the stars to me, but everyone played very well. Hart continues to impress me in sideman appearances that I have heard him in and Nelson is simply a genius on the vibes. Great set!

Next came Vanessa Rubin with special guest James Spaulding. Rubin has a good voice and sang some interesting songs (although I am not sure how I feel about her rendition of the classic R&B tune "With You I'm Born Again"), but the energy level of her set skyrocketed when James Spaulding came on stage. He first played two tunes with Rubin's trio - Horace Silver's "Nica's Dream" and Joe Henderson's "Recorda Me" - and then played a couple of numbers backing up Rubin. He is a terrific musician and its a shame more people are not listening to him. After the set I spoke to him briefly and he was very gracious. When I told him that I went to college with his daughter and that I had purchased his self produced recent CD on his own Speetones label several months ago he was even just a tad bit more friendly to me.

After what I presumed to be the dinner break the evening performances started with the Heath Brothers - featuring all three Percy, Jimmy and Tootie along with Jeb Patton on piano. Very enjoyable set by three masters of the music. They have basically been playing the same songs for a long time ("A Sight For Sore Ears" and "Gingerbread Boy" to name a couple), but what made this performance special in addition to their superb musicianship was the joy they exhibited while playing. Every now and then it is a pleasure to witness someone who really enjoys what they are doing to draw you into the performance. And by the way, Jimmy has a potential career as a standup comic if he ever decides to put his horn down.

The final act of the day was the Wayne Shorter quartet with Danilo Perez, John Patitucci and Brian Blade. The one or two times I heard this group's Verve Release Footprints Live I honestly was not feeling them. Shorter did not seem to be playing much sax and I found it difficult to get into the overall sound. In person this group presents a completely different experience. In the beginning of their performance I had my concerns - there did not seem to be any easily recognizable form to the music and Shorter still did not seem to be playing much of his horn - but as I listened further I found myself mesmerized by their performance. This truly is a group. For the most part no one person was featured and I am not sure whether anyone ever really soloed. Instead they listened closely to each other and just played - feeding and reacting off one another in a nearly telephathic manner. At times it seemed that Perez played something on piano that altered the direction of the music, Shorter picked it up and commented, Patitucci would play a thumping bass vamp to compliment and then all of a sudden Blade would come crashing down on the drums with a thunder that shook the tent. By the way, I have heard Blade live a number of times with Joshua Redman and never took much notice. I realized last night that he is a demon on the drums. I am definately going to have to pay closer attention to him. Overall the level of interplay and creativity of Shorter's group was captivating. When they stopped playing the audience let out a roar releasing the tension that had been building while hypnotized by the intense performance. Wow!

A great day of live jazz!

well i wanted to go this year, i've been to the last two litchfield jazz fests. i had purchased advance tickets and the weather was horrible, hot and humid.ugh! so this year i waited for the last day to get the forcast before i ordered. in caps on the weather forcast- HUMID, so i stayed home. YES,i am a damn wimpus bastard! i really did want to see jane bunnett, the heath brothers, and wayne shorter. how was it under that tent? i know we all have a different level of tolerance to the heat and humidity, i would be at the extreme low end!

Edited by mike casinghino