John Heard and Co.

Allan Songer

Songbook1.jpg

This is my friend John Heard's new album on Straight Ahead Records. John is one of the best bassists in the world and has worked with everyone from Count Basie to Sonny Stitt to Oscar Peterson to Toshiko-well-you name someone and they probably hired John at one time or another. This is only his second album as a leader (the other one was back in 1983 and it will be FINALLY rereleased on CD later this year). This is a record the prodcers and label owners wanted and John delivered the goods. Anyone who likes straight ahead jazz will love it. Available on CD and LP. Do yourself and a REALLY great guy a favor and buy a copy TODAY!!

John is also a gifted artist and it's his artwork that graces the cover.

And if you want to hear John play and you live anywhere near LA, he's at Charlie O's every Friday and Saturday night leading a quartet.

This one is available on both CD and LP.

Buy a copy here . . .

amen to all that has been said about john heard. he is most definitely deserving of wider recognition. i will happily buy his new cd and pass the word on to friends. even though it will not deter me, i am wondering why the cd is so costly. do you know why, allan? i think it's listed at about $27!!

amen to all that has been said about john heard. he is most definitely deserving of wider recognition. i will happily buy his new cd and pass the word on to friends. even though it will not deter me, i am wondering why the cd is so costly. do you know why, allan? i think it's listed at about $27!!

That's the link for the LP. The CD not so expensive, but it is an "audiophile" release with redbook CD on one side and "DVD-Audio" on the other and the packaging is super deluxe.

Here's the CD

And at Amazon as well

Edited by Allan Songer

That's the link for the LP. The CD not so expensive, but it is an "audiophile" release with redbook CD on one side and "DVD-Audio" on the other and the packaging is super deluxe.

Here's the CD

And at Amazon as well

thanks very much, allan. much appreciated. and thanks also for posting this!

Here's the CD

And at Amazon as well

And if you're in L.A. on Aug 13 John will be appearing with 3 other bass players in a concert at Leimert Park in the afternoon. I know one of the other players is Roberto Miranda, but I don't have the information with me as far as the others go. Should be VERY interesting!!

And as you probably know, he's got a steady gig at Charley O's in the Valley every Fri and Sat night--best place to be in LA for jazz, and that's no joke--this is a gig that seriously kicks ass week after week with Roy McCurdy on drums and a "guest" piano and horn every night.

Charlie O's

John Heard's website This one is new and still a work in progress . . .

Edited by Allan Songer

Here's the CD

And at Amazon as well

And if you're in L.A. on Aug 13 John will be appearing with 3 other bass players in a concert at Leimert Park in the afternoon. I know one of the other players is Roberto Miranda, but I don't have the information with me as far as the others go. Should be VERY interesting!!

And as you probably know, he's got a steady gig at Charley O's in the Valley every Fri and Sat night--best place to be in LA for jazz, and that's no joke--this is a gig that seriously kicks ass week after week with Roy McCurdy on drums and a "guest" piano and horn every night.

Charlie O's

John Heard's website This one is new and still a work in progress . . .

i am already set for august 13th as i'm volunteering to be at some table or other. i believe this year's leimert festival is a tribute to dexter gordon. for anyone who is interested in attending, it's scheduled for 12 noon to 7pm, i think.

i've gone many, many times to charlie o's and hopefully will again in the near future.

John Heard is a wonderful musician who was part of the Tete Montoliu* Trio in the early 80s. He´s featured in the three volumes of "Catalonian Nights" on Steeplechase (recorded on Zeleste club, Barcelona) as well as in the Jazziz "Carmina" LP (never issued on CD).

*and not "Monteliu", as stated on Heard´s website :)

i am already set for august 13th as i'm volunteering to be at some table or other. i believe this year's leimert festival is a tribute to dexter gordon. for anyone who is interested in attending, it's scheduled for 12 noon to 7pm, i think.

The festival is a tribute to Dexter Gordon and the late, great Al McKibbon, hence the "bass summit" and the Afro-Cuban bands. :excited: