Vincent Persichetti's "Twentieth Century Harmony"

Sundog

I'm not familiar with this book, but Mick Goodrick's Almanac of Guitar Voice-Leading Vol. II deals extensively with quartal harmony. You'll find page after page of 3-, 4-, and, 5-part chords in 4ths, voice-led through every possible permutation, for Major, Melodic Minor, and Harmonic Minor. I guess you wouldn't call that a "discussion", but it might be a great companion to the Persichetti.

You might want to check out Ludmila Ulehla's Contemporary Harmony (Advance Music). She was a legendary instructor at Manhattan School of Music here in NYC. She remains universally praised as a brilliant musician and teacher. My teacher, the late John Foca was a theory major and swore by her.

I have it, BTW, and it too remains uncracked.

I also would recommend getting perspective from direct usage of such harmony from scores by 20th Century composers, especially Bartok and Berg. Certainly there are others.

Off topic alert: (If you are offended by off-topic remarks remain in your homes and hide all Robin Williams and Jonathan Winters recordings for the next several seconds) I did get some good use out of Cecil Forsyth's Orchestration; The Gil Evans Collection concert scores (especially "Jambangle" which I marked to a fare-thee-well); Inside the Score; and some romantic, impressionist, and 20th Century piano music. (I start to lose interest at Ligati and thereafter).

And a lot of comics and Mad magazines. :crazy::crazy:

Edited by fasstrack

Mick Goodrick's Almanac of Guitar Voice-Leading Vol. II deals extensively with quartal harmony. You'll find page after page of 3-, 4-, and, 5-part chords in 4ths, voice-led through every possible permutation, for Major, Melodic Minor, and Harmonic Minor. I guess you wouldn't call that a "discussion", but it might be a great companion to the Persichetti.

I think I'm going to buy Perischetti's book and the Goodrick. Seems to be a perfect combination of theory and practical application for the guitar.

fasstrack said...

"I also would recommend getting perspective from direct usage of such harmony from scores by 20th Century composers, especially Bartok and Berg. Certainly there are others."

I believe Persichetti's book is "peppered" with many such references which I can study over time. Seems perfect.

Thanks guys.

P.S. How the heck do you include multiple quotes in a single reply? :w

I'm so lazy. Whip me. Hurt me. Make me write bad checks :g

:rfr

P.S. How the heck do you include multiple quotes in a single reply? :w

:)

Try clicking on the "quote" button in the lower right hand corner of the posts you want to quote. It will turn red, and the text will show up in your reply.

Own it. Bought it many years ago, read the first page and thought: "that's all I need". I pulled out a few days ago, started leafing through it and decided that I have to work through the examples. Some of them I look at and think - I know what that sounds like, others I'd have to check out on a piano.

It was kinda strange getting in here last night with book in my bag and seeing this thread. :rfr

Own it. Bought it many years ago, read the first page and thought: "that's all I need". I pulled out a few days ago, started leafing through it and decided that I have to work through the examples. Some of them I look at and think - I know what that sounds like, others I'd have to check out on a piano.

It was kinda strange getting in here last night with book in my bag and seeing this thread. :rfr

Go figure?

I took Persichetti's book out of my high school library and still reference it over 15 years later. I think I even had to pay for it to be replaced to get my diploma. I carried it around to every class and read it cover to cover several times. It was a harmonic skeleton key to a kid in concert and jazz band. I love that book!

0257D0E3.jpg

Also recommended is Schoenberg's Harmonielehre. A sort of treatise before he cracked the egg wide open.

0520049446.jpeg