Steve Lacy could have been 72 today

B. Goren.

I can imagine he is sitting right now with Mal Waldron somewhere in the sky and they are playing together some Monk's compositions. I think I'll go to listen to this album:

596f.jpg

Good timing with this and the follow up thread. Got a one day only 15% coupon from The Jazz Loft, so as I haven't been buying enough music lately I ordered this set. I had been looking for more Lacy & Waldron, and this one looks like it will fit the bill.

Lacy is a favorite of mine. I'm very grateful that I got to hear him live. So many of the musicians I interview cite him as an inspiration. His music will live.

Happy Birthday Steve.

Been reading that Conversations book a lot lately (pre-press proof); it's amazing.

Tell us more about the book. When will it be available?

I can imagine he is sitting right now with Mal Waldron somewhere in the sky and they are playing together some Monk's compositions. I think I'll go to listen to this album:

596f.jpg

Good timing with this and the follow up thread. Got a one day only 15% coupon from The Jazz Loft, so as I haven't been buying enough music lately I ordered this set. I had been looking for more Lacy & Waldron, and this one looks like it will fit the bill.

4 CDs in this set and all 4 are great. This is my favorite duet recording in my collection.

Edited by B. Goren.

Lacy is a favorite of mine. I'm very grateful that I got to hear him live. So many of the musicians I interview cite him as an inspiration. His music will live.

Happy Birthday Steve.

Been reading that Conversations book a lot lately (pre-press proof); it's amazing.

It's a collection of interviews and artist's writings, all in English or translated into English, spanning Lacy's career and compiled by Jason Weiss. It's due in September from Duke University Press. I wrote a blurb on it for the August issue of AAJ-NY with a review online to follow shortly...

Happy Birthday Steve.

It's a collection of interviews and artist's writings, all in English or translated into English, spanning Lacy's career and compiled by Jason Weiss. It's due in September from Duke University Press. I wrote a blurb on it for the August issue of AAJ-NY with a review online to follow shortly...

Thanks Clifford. The book sound great. Please give us all a heads up when it's released.

Indeed. Looking forward, too.

Lacy came to Chicago so often in the 1980's and 90's...the Steve Lacy/Roscoe Mitchell duet concerts at Links Hall..Friday night was Lacy's music, Saturday (which I saw) was Roscoe's music. Roscoe employed his "cards" concept, writing out snippets of music on cards that the musician moves between. Only he did it by putting the musical information in a grid he drew on a big colored sheet and laid it across the floor. The musicians were then supposed to step into different squares and improvise or play straight the music written in them, and switch to another square when they felt like it. There were cards on the walls, too, if I remember, and the place was packed with defrosting humans. Roscoe went to town, but Lacy didn't really engage in this method. He didn't move around a lot on the squares, from what I remember, though he played. Focused on his sound.

In any case, it felt "inevitable" that Lacy'd play across Michigan on his way west. And he did; played in Grand Rapids twice, and Ann Arbor many times more. It helped that the tour manager's family was from Grand Rapids.

Steve Lacy was easy to work with. In transit he slept. He swung through in 1988 following the release of the Novus Recording "Momentum." After his sextet played The Ark in Ann Arbor a fleet of two cars and a van were dispatched to bring Steve Lacy to Grand Rapids.

Pianist Bobby Few and drummer Oliver Johnson where in my car. (Few would play live on Blue Lake Public Radio in 2002 with Avram Feffer). During the trip from Ann Arbor I made the mistake of suggesting we stop at a Meijer. Violations of the open container law entered my vehicle.

Lacy's bottom lip was a mess. He took it easy that time, as well he should have. The band played "Gay Paree Bop" at the climax of the concert, which included "The Bath" and "The Door," the title of the next Novus album. Irene Aebi was on the band with voice, violin and, perhaps, cello; Steve Potts, alto and soprano; Bobby Few, piano; J.J. Avenel, bass; and drummer Oliver Johnson was in full attack, fomenting a rebellion of the rhythm section that led to him leaving the band; eventually replaced by John Betsch.

Looking at this discography, the most likely time the second concert happened was near the end of May, 1993. They recorded "Vespers" at the end of the tour, after many dates across Canada.

The second concert was held at Aquinas College with just the quintet, no Aebi, and Betsch on drums. Again, we picked up the band from Ypsilanti where I think they played The Frog Island Music Festival. Lacy compared Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor by noting Arwolf, a jazz radio producer at WEMU FM, asked him if the Steve Lacy Quintet instrumentation was based on Jimmie Noone's Apex Club Orchestra's instrumentation (the band with clarinet and alto in the front line, Earl Hines at the piano). It was. He noted I didn't ask a comparable question, or draw the comparison (though after he mentioned it -- there's no other famous band in jazz with that instrumentation).

The Aquinas Concert was great. By then we had "The Lacy Rider" down. Nice spread, plenty to drink, and the band stayed at the hall long past the end of the show. They'd been there for hours. Had rehearsal, then the two set concert, then just hung out. I'd gone to a printer and blown up giant black and white images of Cecil Taylor, Monk and Ellington to hang on the walls behind the band.

Musically, the most powerful moment was "Esteem," a composition Lacy wrote for Johnny Hodges (remember on "Soprano Sax" Lacy recorded "Day Dream)." Lacy made a duo version of "Esteem" with Gil Evans in 1988. From the beginning of 1993 until he appeared in G.R. right before the "Vespers" session , Lacy recorded "Esteem" twice (once during a club date). It was just on his mind and very "worked up" at that point. They just nailed it.

-Revenue- : Steve Lacy Quartet : Steve Lacy (sop) Steve Potts (as,sop) Jean-Jacques Avenel (b) John Betsch

(d)

Milan, February 23, 24 & 25, 1993

The rent Soul Note (It)121234-2

Revenue -

This is it -

The uh uh uh -

Esteem -

I do not believe -

Gospel

-Let's call this...esteem- : Steve Lacy (sop) Mal Waldron (p)

Concert, "Playhouse Theatre", Oxford, May 16, 1993

Introduction (by Lol Coxhill) Slam (E)SLAMCD501

Let's call this... -

Monk's dream -

In a sentimental mood -

Snake out -

Blues for Aida -

Johnny come lately -

What it is -

Evidence -

Epistrophy -

Esteem -

-Vespers- : Steve Lacy Octet : Tom Varner (fhr) Steve Lacy (sop) Steve Potts (sop,as) Ricky Ford (ts)

Bobby Few (p) Jean-Jacques Avenel (b) John Betsch (d) Irène Aebi (voice)

New York, July 5, 6, 7 a 9, 1993

Multidimensional (to Miles Davis) Soul Note (It)121260-2

Unconsummated...If we come close (to Corrado Costa) -

Grass (to John Carter) -

Wait for tomorrow (to Keith Haring) -

Across (to Charles Mingus) -

I do not believe (to Stan Getz) -

Vespers (to Arshile Gorky) -

Note : The poems in the above CD are from Blaga Dimitrova and used with the permission of the Wesleyan

University Press.

On the way out of town a promo with music bed came on the radio for the week ahead on "Jazz From Blue Lake," and it included mention of programs featuring Milt Hinton and Scott Hamilton. Lacy looked at me like I was a complete and total traitor. His concept of taking the music to people, of being on the offensive musically and not waiting around to play what people find comfortable, was everything.

Being around him was a profound learning experience.

• 2 weeks later...

596f.jpg

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for making me aware of this release. :wub:

596f.jpg

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for making me aware of this release. :wub:

My pleasure. I hope you got the 4 CDs set (complete recording).