Multi-channel SACD from Supreme Jazz

mgraham333

I followed a trail of links from the Simple RVG Question, SACD Mastering thread and ended up here.

Supreme Jazz SACD

Jazzcatalogue in SACD format - Hybrid Mulitichannel - plays in normal CD player und SACD player

Does anyone know anything about these? What's the source of the music? Is it really multi-channel? How's the sound?

I found a handfull of them at Amazon, but there are no reviews...

Edited by mgraham333

have written this "review" on SA-CD.net for the Terry Clark

As of curiosity, I bought two of those JPC SACD offers being released by Membran, one being the Clark Terry disc that seemed to be a copy of the November 1960 Sessions with Knepper, Watkins, S.Powell, Lateef, Flanagan, Benjamin and Ed Shaughnessy. This session is being released with Candid 1987 on CD as Color Changes according to Allmusic. The Booklet has notes written in French, German and English

This recording is in Stereo, the sound itself is quite open, better that I expected it, but I do not have the original CD to compare. It seems to me having a slight hiss in upper octaves, but nothing that would worry me, all in all I’m not disappointed.

The SA-CD shows a RedBook layer, a 2CH and a 5.1CH selection, which I found not worth buying it as it seems to be ambient rather. The 2Ch Layers are ok but I would not judge from that one disc on the rest of the series.

Because of the recording date being 1960 and knowing Membran, I would not want to speculate about the legal aspect here…..

Cheers, Tjobbe

The other one I own is that Chet Baker recording which I found worth buying.

If you are in to SACD as superior sound... drop those, but they sound as slightly better than other of those "non-legal" EU releases

If you are in to 4.0/5.1 .... run away, as beside very few exceptions, all are initial mono recordings even...

Hope that helps, Oliver