Roy Haynes, "Whereas" (Dreyfus)

Bol

I am listening to the new Roy Haynes recording. He is just soooo good!! As far as I know, his sidemen are complete unknowns, and they just sound great with him. He seems to make everyone around him sound fabulous. I hope Haynes makes many many more records. I find that I look forward to his recordings with more anticipation than to almost anyone else's.

Thanks for mentioning this, Bol--I didn't realize Haynes had a new one out.

Yes, I did not know about this until a couple of weeks ago. That's when I got Haynes's "Fountain of Youth", and I liked it so much that I did some web searches. In the new CD, there is also a blurb about an upcoming box set that Dreyfus seems to be preparing. Very good news.

I am listening to the new Roy Haynes recording. He is just soooo good!! As far as I know, his sidemen are complete unknowns, and they just sound great with him. He seems to make everyone around him sound fabulous. I hope Haynes makes many many more records. I find that I look forward to his recordings with more anticipation than to almost anyone else's.

Jaleel Shaw is certainly not a complete unknown - he is a regular in the current version of the Mingus Big Band, playing alongside Seamus Blake, Craig Handy, Ronnie Cuber, and Abraham Burton in the sax section. He also released a record two years ago on Fresh Sound.

Who else is in the group?