Joshua Redman recommendations: have any?

CJ Shearn

from the press release:

Foremost among Redman's guests was his 75-year-old father, the legendary Dewey Redman, who would, unfortunately, pass away several months after the Back East sessions were completed. Dewey plays tenor on "India." "We did a few takes," Joshua remembers, "and everything was cool. I was getting ready to start on another song when Dad said, 'Okay, but now I want to record something else, on alto'" ...and, Dewey added, he wanted to do it by himself, backed only by Grenadier and Jackson.

Slightly puzzled, Joshua left his father with his band-mates. "I walked around the corner and got an espresso, came back maybe eight minutes later, and Dad was already packing up. 'How'd it go?' I asked. 'Fine, one take,' he said. So I thought, 'Great. Let's move on.' We were kind of running behind in the session, so I didn't even really listen to the song then. In fact, I almost forgot about it. It wasn't until days later, when I was back at home in Berkeley, that I really got a chance to check it out. Of course, I was blown away. It's an incredible piece of music: so warm, deep and wise."

The track Dewey had created, "GJ" had been intended as a gift to Josh's infant son. It took on an even more profound cast after Dewey's passing. That studio date represented the final meeting of father and son as well as the last recording the elder Redman made. "GJ" became a gift to Joshua as well, a reminder of when he was performing back east with his father, in '91 and '92: "I played and toured with Dad a lot when I first came to New York. I really got to know him as a person as well as a master musician. Playing with him, having to solo after him every night, made me realize just how young and immature I was. It was his depth of soul, the hugeness and warmth and humanity of his sound. The wisdom and compassion and patience that lay behind every note he played. Probably more than anything, else, I learned from him about sound, about phrasing, and about how to play the blues."

"GJ" is a fitting coda, then, to an album that is as much about generations as geography. With Back East, Redman traces the path inspiration travels from decade to decade, coast to coast, continent to continent, artist to artist, heart to heart.