Dj Bob Dylan spins Sonny Rollins

medjuck

I ordered the new Dylan cd from Sony so that I'd get a free cd with one of Dylan's XM radio shows. This

"Theme Time Radio Show" is about baseball. At one point Dylan plays a song about Don Newcomb, then follows it by explaining how Sonny Rollins got "Newk" as a nickname. Then he plays Rollins's "Newk's Fadeaway". About a couple of minutes into the song it starts to fade but Dylan interrupts, saying "let's keep going". After a couple of minutes when it finally does fade out, Dylan says "That's Sonny Rollins with his big league sound, covering all the bases".

Several years ago I went to see Jimmy Smith at an LA club. I thought I saw Sonny Rollins in the audience and pointed him out to my wife. Then Smith announced that there was a celebrity in the audience. Turns out the guy I thought was Sonny was Newcomb!

Edited by medjuck

Uhhh where exactly on the site do you find the programs?

Sorry. Click on "Discussions," then go to the "Rare Recordings" forum and do a search for "Theme Shows."

Not exactly legit downloads, I'm sure, but Dylan seems to look the other way at them. Heck, I found the ExpectingRain link from Bob's official site... :w

Sorry. Click on "Discussions," then go to the "Rare Recordings" forum and do a search for "Theme Shows."

Not exactly legit downloads, I'm sure, but Dylan seems to look the other way at them. Heck, I found the ExpectingRain link from Bob's official site... :w

The shows are excellent. Thanks for sharing the link. :D

I've downloaded all 18 episodes to my iPod. I've only listened to the first episode (Weather) so far, but I LOVED it. Really great stuff, both stuff I'd heard and some I'd never heard before (I'd heard Elvis doing "I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine," but I'd never heard Dean Martin doing it before). I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest. Thanks!

I've downloaded all 18 episodes to my iPod. I've only listened to the first episode (Weather) so far, but I LOVED it. Really great stuff, both stuff I'd heard and some I'd never heard before (I'd heard Elvis doing "I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine," but I'd never heard Dean Martin doing it before). I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest. Thanks!

I couldn't agree more. The shows are very entertaining.

Any chance you remember where you got 'Weather' and 'Baseball' from ? I can't find them.

RDK, I'm a little slow. I went to Discussions, then to Rare Dylan Recordings...what after that? Thanks.

Any chance you remember where you got 'Weather' and 'Baseball' from ? I can't find them.

Hmm. Can't seem to get a direct link to the topic in question, but seek out one entitled "First 7 XM Links."

What I did, after getting to the Discussion Forum, was do a search for "Theme Show," limiting the search to the Rare Recordings folder. Search works much like it does here. There are several pages of related links, most pointing to Rapidshare files containing mp3 or wma versions of the shows. "Baseball" is a bit harder to find now since it was included on a bonus CD released with some copies of Dylan's new album - so some of them pulled the mp3 copies.

Hmm. Can't seem to get a direct link to the topic in question, but seek out one entitled "First 7 XM Links."

What I did, after getting to the Discussion Forum, was do a search for "Theme Show," limiting the search to the Rare Recordings folder. Search works much like it does here. There are several pages of related links, most pointing to Rapidshare files containing mp3 or wma versions of the shows. "Baseball" is a bit harder to find now since it was included on a bonus CD released with some copies of Dylan's new album - so some of them pulled the mp3 copies.

On the left hand side of the page you'll see 'White Man Stew', click and shows 1 -18 are all archived with links.

I didn't realise this until I'd spent aging searching for the shows one by one. :D

On the left hand side of the page you'll see 'White Man Stew', click and shows 1 -18 are all archived with links.

I didn't realise this until I'd spent aging searching for the shows one by one. :D

Heh. That's easier! :blush:

Yeah, I found that. I've been listening to the shows (I'm up to episode seven, I think) and they're AMAZING. Great stuff. And Dylan's patter is wonderful.

Indeed. It's pure pleasure listening to his anecdotes and comments. It's also helping expand my horizons a bit into artists I previously either hadn't heard or ignored.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...