Benny Green & Russell Malone

JazzKitten

I'm psyched to discover that one of my favorite young pianists, Benny Green, will be in town (Scullers 8/27) at the end of the month, along with the very exciting and talented guitarrist Russell Malone! I haven't seen him in more than a year. Can't wait!!

BennyGreen.jpg

:excited::D

Anyone else a Benny Green and/or Russell Malone fan here?

JK :)

Edited by JazzKitten

Interesting ... wasn't it that Bistro cd that some hack-in-training college "journalist" wrote a nasty review to which Malone went ballistic (and extremely crude) on her?

FWIW, I dug that CD too, and really enjoyed Benny about a year ago when he performed in West Palm Beach.

I think Malone is really incredible, in terms of technique. I still haven't heard a recording by him that really grabbed me, unfortunately. I think he used to have a tendency to rely too much on his technique, instead of developing a unique individual sound and approach. I haven't heard him in awhile, though.

Green seems to sound better every time I hear something by him.

Let us know how it goes! :)

I'd have to disagree, Jim R. Malone does have monster chops, sure, but his ability to convey heartfelt, "emotional" solos is not lacking at all. I saw him in the duo setting, along with Green about a year and a half ago and they were great together. I wouldn't quite use the word telepathy, but the togetherness/empathy for one another was really on display throughout the entire two sets. A most enjoyable concert; two friends just having fun, making swingin' music.