windmill tilter!

Guest akanalog

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first ever public performance of the original scores of Windmill Tilter, a morsel or two from Alec’s Spanish Accents recording and new ‘hispanically’ influence music specially written by John Dankworth and/or Ken Gibson. It is hoped that Kenny Wheeler will be present to enjoy the occasion. This is happening on Sunday 29 June at Ronnie's. Could this be a pre-launch of the long-awaited reissue? Even if it isn't it is still going to be a historic performance

http://www.ronniescotts.co.uk/performances...kworth-quartet/

Edited by RogerF

• 2 months later...

Received it two days after ordering it from BGO. They really do a good job and a certain Bob gets a mention too! Excellent new sleevenotes from the ever-reliable Alyn Shipton. To hear Deep Dark in stereo is a real revelation.

Thanks again

Roger

A pleasure - that's great to hear that the stereo worked out well ! Still haven't heard it yet but hopefully it's in the mail - I'll have to live with listening to the LP. :g

Edited by sidewinder

And now back to the original subject. When oh when are we going to see Windmill Tilter on CD? :w

Agreed! This is well overdue. In the last year I managed to buy a <>stereo<> copy on vinyl in pretty good nick so surely someone could do a very reasonable needle drop? I would have thought even Universal might consider this worth doing in the light of the Impressed Repressed hiatus - if not for Dankworth's 80th or for Kenny but for the considerable commercial cache of McLaughlin?

I gave my rip of it a spin last night - hadn't in some time - and really enjoyed it, a lot more than I remember.

Maybe your contact with BGO could give it a little push, eh Sidewinder?

It would need initiating by Messrs Dankworth and Wheeler I think (I assume they both hold the rights?). Neat idea re: BGO though. It had crossed my mind !

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 weeks later...

Received it two days after ordering it from BGO. They really do a good job and a certain Bob gets a mention too! Excellent new sleevenotes from the ever-reliable Alyn Shipton. To hear Deep Dark in stereo is a real revelation.

Thanks again

Roger

My copy of the BGO CDs just arrived in the mail and I'm giving it a spin. They did a great job cleaning up the transfer for 'Deep Dark Blue Centre', as good as I could have hoped, really.

I see that you have a letter in to 'Jazzwise' this month, Roger, on the subject of lack of Alan Skidmore 'TCB' on CD :cool: . I wonder if Universal still has the masters to that one? Of course, there is always the vinyl route. Not sure if it's still there but Ray's Jazz had a copy in their 'Rare as Hen's Teeth' rack a little while back. A nice copy too, by the look of it.

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...