Musicians writing on Jazz

i only heard the first one but wasn't thrilled either, except as weirdness move, not then knowing his deeper background... live tho' was better than most straight blues bands. if they ever play Denton Pioneer Days & yr around, could be aiiiiight. the specific timbres & hot/looseness of that sorta thing can get killed easily die in the studio, not to mention some musics simply don't translate all that well at this point in history.

tsg

The above is the most straight forward post you have ever made Clem!

Not that I don't enjoy what you have to say otherewise, but my little ole, seriously under - educated brain, can decipher just so much at one time.

I thought that Ola Dara was a jive avant player also and you may be right that his blues is closer to his real self, but it's still a pose with not much to say after all.

Not that not saying much is wrong, but the attitude that you're doing something important or original is lame.

"Not that not saying much is wrong, but the attitude that you're doing something important or original is lame"

For the record: I did not mean to write "You're" to mean any one here, but I was taking about the artist.

Myself, I can't carry a tune, and as for Clem, I'm having a good time working with my decoder ring! There was one time that I thought that you were working out the cut & paste Wm. Buroughs method, though.

Carry On!

Edited by marcello

One oddity about Ben Sidran's Talking Jazz: Denny Zeitlin's name was misspelled "Zeitland" all the way through the chapter on the pianist. I'm sure that Sidran knew how to spell it, but you get the idea that someone else transcribed the interviews then he never bothered to proofread the text. At least they fixed it prior to issuing the paperback.

I like Marian McPartland's collection of magazine articles All in Good Time, among other musicians who have written books.

Guest akanalog

i always liked dara's playing on "the flat out jump suite". especially the second tune.

he earned my respect with that one, though i don't think i would go anywhere near anything he's done as a leader in the last 20 years or whatever.