RVGs

Jazz Kat

Dave Burns; Stanley Turrentine; Wynton Kelly; Paul Chambers; Carlos "Patato" Valdez

Right, thanks. That's the album with the orange cover, I should have known.

I'm quite fond of that session. My Toshiba vinyl has more of a red cover, though not "deep" red.

I can't see it moving units quickly, but maybe I underestimate the jazz public...

It's funny---I kept seeing that album in the jazz section of some stores again, and again, and again, and I always kind of said to myself, "Oh, I'll pick that up one of these days." Well I never got around to it, so now I'm glad it's being RVGed.

That's about 160 CDs.

At $12 a CD, you would pay about $1,920 if purchased individually, no coupons etc.

Who would want this? Is there anyone interested in this music who doesn't have at least some of these? And it's hardly a stocking stuffer.

Two questions:

1) Wasn't the Turrentine/3 Sounds a Connoisseur?

2) When did Chopin record for BN?

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I keep hoping JOS "Live at Club Baby Grand" will be reissued domestically, emailed MC but have not yet heard.

Same here...I still have one original LP BLP1528 but never could buy VOL.1 and 2 on CD even in Japan.

Do you have any idea of what drives OOP albums into the RVG edition, by the way..?

I found a copy of Vol. 2 on CD in a used record store a couple of years ago for $6.99. I love this music! So much more raw and powerful than a lot of other Jimmy Smith I have on the shelf. Especially Thornell Shwartz's tone. I'd love to hear Vol. 1.

• 3 months later...

Time to dig up this thread as I'm still looking for more Jimmy Smith that I don't have on CD yet...

It was rumored about some while ago,that when the Baby Grand sessions are released they could include tracks which were previously listed as rejected.

According to jazzdisco.org there was a lot of music recorded with hardly any

tune played twice. That would make a nice extended/complete multi-disc set.

I just realized that if a lot of that material is usable, this could make a great Mosaic Select set! :excited: