BFT #42 CD 1

Mr. Bassman

since the first packages have reached the recipients, we start the discussion thread, here for CD #1

CD #1 : there is a kind of a theme, but not that clear and specific.... and it is not an instrument :g .

My nickname stands as a godfather for some of the tracks, but that's not the theme. It is obvious that Mr. Bassman will have an eye on the bass.... because... listen to the first track :g:party:

Okay, it is your turn... I wait for your statements, opinions, guesses and whatever

with regards

Mr. Bassman

Edited by Mr. Bassman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1: :)

2: CC, & surely you picked this because of her wry tip of the hat to Mr OP! Track 9 here. Not my favourite CC Atlantic (that's the Gershwin) but she's one of my favourite vocalists of the period. I find this album a little cluttered (the extra percussion, vibes, two horns, the cute Sharon arrangements) but there's still plenty of choice CC on it (isn't this the one with "Moon Ray"? Sublime!).

3: Nice updating of this cheesy chestnut to a Bo Diddley kind of rhythm! I love the exchanges between the guitar & piano there, plenty of gusto to the pianist's comping! No idea who this is.

4: Lovely baritone/bass waltz, doesn't strike a lot of sparks maybe but I liked hearing it.

5: OK rhythm changes tune. The irritating sound/balance on the drums & bass dates this one. No idea who it is, though I probably should.

6: Well, another one I know well--YY's trio with Lovano guesting. They did a few albums together but if memory serves it's the titel track off this one. I loved YY's playing the moment I heard his album with Bennie Wallace, which I sampled on my own BFT a few years back--he's sort of Japan's answer to Don Pullen. I think it's criminal that Verve keeps letting this guy's albums drop out of print, & really they put little effort into promoting them in North America. One of the interesting characteristics of his music is that it's got a "Spanish tinge" and also an interest in Arabic musics--this track is a good example.

7: Pedalpoint Shorter/Hancock waltz, sounds nice but not really my thing. Give me jittery ol' YY any day.

8: Handsome tune based on "Cherokee" with a little Hampton vocalizing at the vibes. I enjoyed it.

9: Doesn't quite gel, but I mostly liked this one anyway. Odd track. Was this a regular band?

10: Hm..... violinist & bassist with a very contemporary rhythm track. Enjoyable.

11: Guitar used as percussion--nice. The kind of track I can appreciate--with all the spotlit breakneck stoptime stuff--even if it's not really my thing, & all the tapping does go on a little too long.... I suppose it could be Uwe Kropinski, judging from the one time I saw him live with Doppelmoppel.

12: Sounds like a jazz standard I should know but can't place it. I dunno, this is an accomplished track which does exactly what I expect it to--in particular the way the pianist opens the solo, & the habit of plunking the same note in a teasing/playful fashion, is a bit overfamiliar. Can't say who it is, my ability to distinguish between the many post-Evans/Jarrett piano trios is not finely honed.

13: Minor-key blues with a trombonist with a few quirky multiphonics things going on, & frazzly alto saxophonist. & for once a pianist who really keeps surprising... some real out-of-nowhere phrases in that solo! No idea who it is, but excellent stuff. I definitely don't know the pianist as he's pretty distinctive. Is the bassist the leader? A little surprised at the ordering of solos, though I suppose it could be that way because the bass leads more naturally back to the head.

14: Hm.... interesting. The soprano sax began in John Surman territory but towards the end of the solo there are a few phrases that are hallmarks of Marty Ehrlich, so I'll go with Ehrlich.... though I hadn't previously thought of them as players who could be confused for one another!! (I guess the link is that both are players with an interest in bringing a certain folk-music quality to jazz.) No idea who the guitarist is. The track is good if not especially memorable.

15: An attractive signoff. I'm guessing they're trying for an African flavour here?

Edited by Nate Dorward

Ahhhh... the first impressions! Nice work, Nate! I wait for the more tk ! :) But i like to make some comments ...

:D you know, who they are ? I thought, this tune is the right opener for the Mr. Bassman-BFT. Originally it was #2..., but then i rediscovered this one. And the reason for the rediscovering was a thread in this Forum, when i was strolling around. :lol:

2: CC, & surely you picked this because of her wry tip of the hat to Mr OP! Track 9 here. Not my favourite CC Atlantic (that's the Gershwin) but she's one of my favourite vocalists of the period. I find this album a little cluttered (the extra percussion, vibes, two horns, the cute Sharon arrangements) but there's still plenty of choice CC on it (isn't this the one with "Moon Ray"? Sublime!).

How can one be that correct :tup originally this was my first draft for the opener, because of that specific line.... but for the singer, too. Normally i'm not very interested in singing and singers at all, but our well-known mikeweil convinced me during one of our personal BFTs we do from time to time. I like CC very much... and this means a lot for me.

3: Nice updating of this cheesy chestnut to a Bo Diddley kind of rhythm! I love the exchanges between the guitar & piano there, plenty of gusto to the pianist's comping! No idea who this is.

he he.... this tune was one of the first jazzy things i heared in my life... my mother was fan of the performing band and had a record... i think, i listened to this tune, when i was in the womb. But naturally not this version. The original arranger for that version is well-known !!! It was only adapted for that band... maybe this is a clue :g

4: Lovely baritone/bass waltz, doesn't strike a lot of sparks maybe but I liked hearing it.

... well, sometimes a tune with less sparks can be beautiful :) And a BFT needs some contrast :w

5: OK rhythm changes tune. The irritating sound/balance on the drums & bass dates this one. No idea who it is, though I probably should.

This tune is in the BFT for several reasons, one is a sad one. The sound balance is not very well, but the bass-player has this kind of sound in those days. He used a magnetic pickup for amplification during the live-perfomances and i have the impression, that he used this system on the recording, too. Normally the record label is well known for the sound .... #8, for example, is issued on the same label. And the drummer is a very special "problem" .... :w ... according to the sound. I think, the recording shows, how they really sound on stage in those days, beside it is a studio recording.

6: Well, another one I know well--YY's trio with Lovano guesting. They did a few albums together but if memory serves it's the titel track off this one. I loved YY's playing the moment I heard his album with Bennie Wallace, which I sampled on my own BFT a few years back--he's sort of Japan's answer to Don Pullen. I think it's criminal that Verve keeps letting this guy's albums drop out of print, & really they put little effort into promoting them in North America. One of the interesting characteristics of his music is that it's got a "Spanish tinge" and also an interest in Arabic musics--this track is a good example.

:tup You are absolutely right, but .... don't say "arabic music" in this case, i know, what you mean, but the title of this song is right. These people are no arabs, they would't be pleased, if you call them arabs. :) but, beside this special theme, I am very glad that you recognized YY immedately! I discovered him some weeks ago and was very pleased to listen to his music. more to be said in the answer-thread !

7: Pedalpoint Shorter/Hancock waltz, sounds nice but not really my thing. Give me jittery ol' YY any day.

:D

8: Handsome tune based on "Cherokee" with a little Hampton vocalizing at the vibes. I enjoyed it.

I can imagine, that the vibes-player like your adaption. In the signing-up thread for BFT #42 are two guys who recognized this person already, but for them... it was not that difficult.

9: Doesn't quite gel, but I mostly liked this one anyway. Odd track. Was this a regular band?

Yes, it is a working band and i will tell them, that you like it. I know, this is no clue at all.

with regards

Mr. Bassman

:D you know, who they are ?

No, it's simply that I found the track entertaining!

:tup You are absolutely right, but .... don't say "arabic music" in this case, i know, what you mean, but the title of this song is right. These people are no arabs, they would't be pleased, if you call them arabs. :) but, beside this special theme, I am very glad that you recognized YY immedately! I discovered him some weeks ago and was very pleased to listen to his music. more to be said in the answer-thread !

Yeah, I should have thought twice about calling this "Arabic" in its influence! My favourite album of the ones I've heard is the solo disc Canvas in Quiet which is mostly Corsican in inspiration... a little like some of the folksong material on Ran Blake's Compleat vol 2.... -- If you like YY, check out the Dutch pianist Michiel Braam, who is a YY fan (you can hear the influence quite strongly at times on his trio album Colors).

Well ..... I',m in a kind of delicate position for this BFT: Mr. Bassman and myself are friends now for quite a number of years after meeting in the trio of a guitarist (with whom he still plays), and conduct listening sessions whenever we find the time, which include a bit of mutual blindfolding, and some ideas for this BFT stem from these (at least he confessed this to me), so I will keep my mouth shut whenever I think I identify something.

So here are my comments for disc 1:

Track 1: :g ... a bass is a bass is a bass ...

p.s. please put this on my wish list!

Track 2: I have to take credit for turning him to this, one of my all time favourite singers, and I know the reason why he included it ..... :)

Track 3: Oh - so I finally get to hear some of this CD! I was there when he bought it! It was when we strolled through town browsing a CD shop on a day off during a small tour with the band we both play in. And he exclaimed, laughing: "If one must do some Glen Miller, do it like this, please!" He's right. The name of the band makes me smile, too ....

Track 4: Now here's one I'm not familiar with, and another item for my wish list. Very nice baritone and bass playing by two guys listening to each other. I like the mood this projects. Very nice. John Surman on a more relaxed groove? None of his usually characteristic overblowing here, but the sound is similar to his on some older records I have ..... Can't guess who the bassist is - I don't hear any overtly characteristic traits in his playing.

Track 5: Oh - an upright, obviously, but sounding almost like a Fender bass: This should be .... not O.P., but ..... :g with one of my least preferred drummers. I remember the strories you told me about the gig where you met him. Hehe ....

Track 6: Very nice rhythm in 9/4 - well you were so proud of this discovery,considering what band we play in, that you gave it away to me on the rehearsal where this originates, but not who it is. Pretty nice the way they play it, and that they do not cling as tightly to the ryhthm as most jazz bands do. The saxist is looser with the rhythm as the pianist, who sounds a bit stiff .... on the whole a :tup

Track 7: This has the mood, but not the sound of an ECM piano trio recording. Nice, but this style of playing is somewhat too noncommittal to these ears. And it sounds derived of some other recording. Well,maybe I do this track injustice .....

Track 8: Oh, this should be a track of a band I never had the opportunity to listen to but read a lot about. There's two bassists here! :g Almost a Hot Club de France type of rhythm.

Track 9: A German band? At least that track shows a few characteristic I have observed with local bands. To me, they are not really together. The ryhthm players are all in different worlds, the bassist walks a straight 4/4 during the theme where the sax and drums anticipate the beat, which lessens the rhythmic impact of the arrangement, the pianist's comping is rhythmically indefinite, his solo shows the rhythmic weakness in his phrasing and is full of stock phrases. Drummer bashes along and does not listen to much to the others, although he knows his way through the tune. Saxist sems to be the best of the bunch, but reminds me a lot of the modern school à la Lovano, or is this some better known guy? The weakest track so far.

Track 10: Oh .... some funky fusionistic jazz. Nice riff the bassist plays. Violin? Hmm ... no idea who this is. A nice experiment, but I think the bassist waits too long before he does something with the riff; well he doesn't really improvise but only changes the basic rhythm. They could make some more out of it. They ran out of ideas before they really got started.

Track 11. I think I know who this is: You played some of this duo for me,didn't you? I still pity that this bassist abandoned using his magnificent sounding French baroque bass violin. That guitarist is one of the most original on the European scene, and is shamefully underrecognized for being so. Too much reverb on the bass for my taste.

Track 12: Some Bill Evans school piano trio,for sure. Enrico Pieranunzi? Nice sound on this, the players as well as the recording. The brushes are not too low in the mix, for a change :g I was afraid they'd dance along lightly on this, but they really dig in. Good track!

Track 13: It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a funky jazz track like this. Good front line, much more interesting than the cliché funkisms I have heard from Nils Landgren recently. No idea who they are.

Track 14: Another good one that leaves me with a cloud of question marks .....

Track 15: That should be one from out countryman digging into the German folk archives ...... Nice!

Oh - it's over already? Very nice compliation! :tup

Wait - there's another disc ^_^

:D you know, who they are ?

No, it's simply that I found the track entertaining!

Yeah, I should have thought twice about calling this "Arabic" in its influence! My favourite album of the ones I've heard is the solo disc Canvas in Quiet which is mostly Corsican in inspiration... a little like some of the folksong material on Ran Blake's Compleat vol 2.... -- If you like YY, check out the Dutch pianist Michiel Braam, who is a YY fan (you can hear the influence quite strongly at times on his trio album Colors).

Thank you for the references, as i discovered YY only some weeks ago, I am not very familiar with his work. I will look forward for that solo disc. And the dutch pianist is on my research list, too. The other name Ran Blake is unknown to me, too.... well, that's the good thing with the BFTs .... always new ideas and unknown musicians!

Back to the #6: The interesting thing for me about that tune was, that he did not adapt that music, he took it as an inspiration-source. The rhythm of this tune is of that area but it is no original riff and no original rhythmic-pattern. He transfered it into the "west" (you know, what I mean, I should take another direction-word :g ), i mean western music.... When he starts his solo, the first phrases sound like a typical melodic phrase of this music, but it is not a quotation ( I'm not quite sure, but my sources tell me, that this is no original melody, as far as they know), it is more a reflection of listening or experiencing that kind of music and he has to do a transformation to the piano, an unknown instrument inside that culture. And it invites to do, what the title says ... (second word) :D

with regards

Mr. Bassman

P.S. I apologize my english.... I have very little practice and sometimes the dictionary is not that extensive, but practice her in the board will increase my knowledge and experience.

Thanks for the nice words, Michael! I hope, we will get some time for our work-sessions :D But here a few comments....

Track 1: :g ... a bass is a bass is a bass ...

p.s. please put this on my wish list!

Listen carefully to the words.... the writing is different. But i put it on the wishlist!

Track 2: I have to take credit for turning him to this, one of my all time favourite singers, and I know the reason why he included it ..... :)

That's it !

Track 3: Oh - so I finally get to hear some of this CD! I was there when he bought it! It was when we strolled through town browsing a CD shop on a day off during a small tour with the band we both play in. And he exclaimed, laughing: "If one must do some Glen Miller, do it like this, please!" He's right. The name of the band makes me smile, too ....

nothing to be said :g ... but can you remember the arranger ?

Track 4: Now here's one I'm not familiar with, and another item for my wish list. Very nice baritone and bass playing by two guys listening to each other. I like the mood this projects. Very nice. John Surman on a more relaxed groove? None of his usually characteristic overblowing here, but the sound is similar to his on some older records I have ..... Can't guess who the bassist is - I don't hear any overtly characteristic traits in his playing.

I can't give you a clue, there are still a lot of participiants out there, but when you stroll along the CDs for preparing a BFT, there are often some "unheard" ones :g .... we never had this one in our work-sessions.

Track 5: Oh - an upright, obviously, but sounding almost like a Fender bass: This should be .... not O.P., but ..... :g with one of my least preferred drummers. I remember the strories you told me about the gig where you met him. Hehe ....

I am sure, you know that tune!

Track 6: Very nice rhythm in 9/4 - well you were so proud of this discovery,considering what band we play in, that you gave it away to me on the rehearsal where this originates, but not who it is. Pretty nice the way they play it, and that they do not cling as tightly to the ryhthm as most jazz bands do. The saxist is looser with the rhythm as the pianist, who sounds a bit stiff .... on the whole a :tup

This one was on my list for our next work-sessions, but.... as you know about our time (better our "we-have-no-time" ) .... you had to wait for this until this BFT

Track 7: This has the mood, but not the sound of an ECM piano trio recording. Nice, but this style of playing is somewhat too noncommittal to these ears. And it sounds derived of some other recording. Well,maybe I do this track injustice .....

Well done, no ECM at all. :w Maybe i choosed the wrong tune... but no more hints now.

Track 8: Oh, this should be a track of a band I never had the opportunity to listen to but read a lot about. There's two bassists here! :g Almost a Hot Club de France type of rhythm.

Yes, you know, who this is, but do you know the other bass-player ?

Track 9: A German band? At least that track shows a few characteristic I have observed with local bands. To me, they are not really together. The ryhthm players are all in different worlds, the bassist walks a straight 4/4 during the theme where the sax and drums anticipate the beat, which lessens the rhythmic impact of the arrangement, the pianist's comping is rhythmically indefinite, his solo shows the rhythmic weakness in his phrasing and is full of stock phrases. Drummer bashes along and does not listen to much to the others, although he knows his way through the tune. Saxist sems to be the best of the bunch, but reminds me a lot of the modern school à la Lovano, or is this some better known guy? The weakest track so far.

:blush: I can't say anything to this at this moment .... but... is it really THAT bad ???

Track 10: Oh .... some funky fusionistic jazz. Nice riff the bassist plays. Violin? Hmm ... no idea who this is. A nice experiment, but I think the bassist waits too long before he does something with the riff; well he doesn't really improvise but only changes the basic rhythm. They could make some more out of it. They ran out of ideas before they really got started.

This is funny, but i think, they wanted that tune in exactly that kind of interpretation, but ... I give you a big grin concerning to that violinist :rolleyes: .... :o nothing more.... :g

Track 11. I think I know who this is: You played some of this duo for me,didn't you? I still pity that this bassist abandoned using his magnificent sounding French baroque bass violin. That guitarist is one of the most original on the European scene, and is shamefully underrecognized for being so. Too much reverb on the bass for my taste.

For sure, you know this, you gave me that advice, to put them into the BFT.... some months ago

Track 12: Some Bill Evans school piano trio,for sure. Enrico Pieranunzi? Nice sound on this, the players as well as the recording. The brushes are not too low in the mix, for a change :g I was afraid they'd dance along lightly on this, but they really dig in. Good track!

I am unable to confirm the Bill-Evans-school, because i don't know it. It is not Enrico. Do you have an idea, who wrote this title ? And... for more mouthwatering.... the whole CD is fine and exciting.... It IS on the list....

Track 13: It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a funky jazz track like this. Good front line, much more interesting than the cliché funkisms I have heard from Nils Landgren recently. No idea who they are.

... try again .... :g Nils is definitely not in this group. Definitely a great musician, wrong... all are great musicians. I hope, someone will recognize them, ... no ... I'm sure.... there must be one ... or two...

Track 14: Another good one that leaves me with a cloud of question marks .....

. .???....???..........???

. .????.....??..????...????....???..???.

. .???..???..??? mikeweil ??? ???. ???? .... THAT cloudy ?

. .??? ????? ??? ?? ?? ??.

. .????. . . . . .????.

... normally this is Mr. Bassman's theme, when mikeweil rummages in his treasure-box and grins at me: ... "you must know this bass-player..." ... I hope, you others can imagine, what fun this is, when we two meet for that sessions. .... but, finally to this posting, i can't give any clues now

Track 15: That should be one from out countryman digging into the German folk archives ...... Nice!

Sorry for that smilie: :rofl: but THAT was my first reaction.... i put you on the ice rink :blush: Okay, some facts: It is not from the german folk archive... it is well known in Germany. And the bass-player is not a countryman. I think you will smack your head, when the answer is publicated.

Oh - it's over already? Very nice compliation! :tup

Wait - there's another disc ^_^

Yes, I am waiting for this, it is still uncharted lands .... :w

with regards and get well soon !

Mr. Bassman

P.S. ... don't know, why the quote-system does not work.... maybe too much ??? Therefore i coloured it... and cloudmaking is not that easy

Edited by Mr. Bassman

I, too, had problems with the quotations encoding, but never found out why and when it doesn't work.

So that's not Ilg on track 15 ..... interesting.

With my comments on # 13 I wanted to say that I'm sure it's not Landgren! This guy here is catching my attention a lot more!

I think the quotation encoding has an upper limit, like the number of smilies you can use in a posting (I discovered this...). Now, back to "work" :rolleyes:

No, it is not Ilg on #15. but maybe he is elsewhere ?!? :excited:

#13 Yes, i know, I wanted to underline your statement, maybe my formulation was missleading. Your attention will increase, the more you listen, there are very interesting things to discover.

with regards

Mr. Bassman

Edited by Mr. Bassman

Thanks Bassman for this first CD compilation.

1. A great opener. My first thought was of course Charles Mingus, but that is because I think he might have made these that kind of things.

2. It sounds like the Miller Sextet - a Dutch group

3. A solid big band.

5. Great stuff. Joshua Redman?

6. It sounds Brubeck-like

7. Georg Mraz on bas?

8. Lionel Hampton?

9. James Carter on tenor.

14. Pat Metheny on guitar?

Keep swinging

Durium

I've tried not to look to previous comments in this initial response(promised):

track #1: the bass is the base, says it all

track #2: is that from one of the previous Altantic remasters... Chris Conner ? Have by accident listened to her when deciding which to buy. haven't picked this one, maybe a mistake

track #3: Mr. Miller wouldn't like it, I did... guess that to be a European version of it. Maybe one of those Austrian big bands showing that lack of respect for classics

track #4: a very nice one....baritone Sax and bass. Sounded a bit like an ECM with Charlie Haden

Track #5: sounds like Bird...not sure who plays.

track #6: This reminded me of some Pekka Pohjola record I heard in the late 70's but I believe he never played that jazzy.

track #7: a singing bass line. Can that be Quartet west with Haden on bass ? like that one

track #8: have this on CD since 1986 (one of my first ones, bought because I wasn't able to afford the high priced legendary Vinyls from that label) Still one of the best recorded. Oh and the Trombone and the vibes seemed to be schizophrenic, cannot decide which of the three instruments he should play.....

Track #9: sounds like a GRP record somewhat ? can that be PAtitucci on Concord ? a bit so-so

Track #10 great intro but the violin disturbed me a bit.... didn't work for me

track #11 no clue to be honest.....

Track #12: is that an Oscar with NHOP playing ? Sound wise I would have guessed that to be an MPS remaster

Track #13: guilty pleasures, a bit pop'ish but sounds like the current European , the music mix as on Act label....trombone could be Landgren

Track #14: abercrombie ? liked it (because of the clarinet within)

Track#15, the composers are Jan Johansson/Georg Riedel (thanks for this) with that quite famous one writtin for TV/Film , but not sure who dug that out

Cheers, Tjobbe

I guess I know where to look at... need to search a bit.

EDIT: mhh, I cannot find Charlie Mariano playing baritone Sax with Ilg which could make that the answer to who's playing on track 4... would have been a nice try. Isn't there a new CD of that Ilg&Mariano duo out since summer ? Maybe its from there.

Edited by tjobbe

This is the comment post to Duriums statements

Thanks Bassman for this first CD compilation.

Thanks for the compliment.

1. A great opener. My first thought was of course Charles Mingus, but that is because I think he might have made these that kind of things.

Indeed, it is not Charles Mingus, but i am nearly sure, the bass-player will appreciate your impression.

2. It sounds like the Miller Sextet - a Dutch group

No, it's not the Miller Sextet

3. A solid big band.

Yes, a solid big band. At least 17 musicians.

5. Great stuff. Joshua Redman?

No, not Joshua Redman

6. It sounds Brubeck-like

That is interesting ! Brubeck could do such things, but this one is no Brubeck at all

7. Georg Mraz on bas?

No, not George Mraz. You like this one ?

8. Lionel Hampton?

No, not Lionel, but he likes him, i think.

9. James Carter on tenor.

No, but another musician will appreciate this!

14. Pat Metheny on guitar?

That would be too easy, no, it is not Pat, but maybe the musician is inspired by Pat.

with regards

Mr. Bassman

This is for Tjobbe

I've tried not to look to previous comments in this initial response(promised):

:)

track #1: the bass is the base, says it all

Yes, this is the right statement, but who made it and who is the bass-player?

track #2: is that from one of the previous Altantic remasters... Chris Conner ? Have by accident listened to her when deciding which to buy. haven't picked this one, maybe a mistake

Yes, the lady is well recognized. .... maybe it is a big mistake :cool:

track #3: Mr. Miller wouldn't like it, I did... guess that to be a European version of it. Maybe one of those Austrian big bands showing that lack of respect for classics

... i would say.... you are on a hot track! But i think... there is a lot of respect for that tune.... This is the right version not the Mister M. version :g And if you would know, who arranged that version !

track #4: a very nice one....baritone Sax and bass. Sounded a bit like an ECM with Charlie Haden

No ECM and no Charlie Haden. This is a really nice piece, and it is a surprise, too..... because i know for what reason this recording was made (.... maybe a kind of a hint ???? ... :D just kidding... :w )

Track #5: sounds like Bird...not sure who plays.

Okay.... try again and ensure yourself (already it is not Bird, that's clear)

track #6: This reminded me of some Pekka Pohjola record I heard in the late 70's but I believe he never played that jazzy.

You are right with the impression, no Pohjola.... and it is no 70-ties recording (right, Nate ??)

track #7: a singing bass line. Can that be Quartet west with Haden on bass ? like that one

No, it is not Haden nor Quartett west. I thought, you could recognize this .....

track #8: have this on CD since 1986 (one of my first ones, bought because I wasn't able to afford the high priced legendary Vinyls from that label) Still one of the best recorded. Oh and the Trombone and the vibes seemed to be schizophrenic, cannot decide which of the three instruments he should play.....

I'm sure, you have this... but look carefully into the liner notes about the bass-playing.... you will see that there are indeed two persons for one of the three instruments....

Track #9: sounds like a GRP record somewhat ? can that be PAtitucci on Concord ? a bit so-so

No GRP and no Pattitucci, well this tune seem not to be liked very much since now.....

Track #10 great intro but the violin disturbed me a bit.... didn't work for me

Well..... hmmmmm.... how should i say.... disturbing violin is a good track for an intensive research to this tune.... and ... if you would know the whole thing, this kind of a crazy version makes sense (okay... for me indeed). Maybe i should have choosen another track.... but no clue at this moment. I want your claps to the forehead when it will be "demasked".

track #11 no clue to be honest.....

Aha. Difficult ??? hmmm...

Track #12: is that an Oscar with NHOP playing ? Sound wise I would have guessed that to be an MPS remaster

Sorry Tjobbe..... No. They would like to hear THAT ! but more serious.... No not MPS and no OP or NHØP. Can you recognize the tune, it is a bit tricky.... but there is a main theme on that recording. When i discovered this, i had a lot of fun during the first listening.... and i left all aside (kitchen work, vaccuum-cleaning, fixing the bridge in case of new strings etc.) and listened without a brake and allowed no disturbance (phone-ringing ignored...).

Track #13: guilty pleasures, a bit pop'ish but sounds like the current European , the music mix as on Act label....trombone could be Landgren

Ahhhh, that is interesting.... the "bit pop'ish" gives you a sort of a trackline..... but... no ACT and no Landgren at all. I checked the label.... no connection to ACT. But i want to say a bit to this work.... he is a serious candidate for the "you-must-know"-musician-"roster".

Track #14: abercrombie ? liked it (because of the clarinet within)

No Abercrombie here

Track#15, the composers are Jan Johansson/Georg Riedel (thanks for this) with that quite famous one writtin for TV/Film , but not sure who dug that out

Hey, tjobbe, that was a nice research! I have checked that with the composer, yeah, that is right! Should we give taht as a clue to the others ? :cool: but... there is still the big question... WHO is this ??? ... not that far away..... (okay, my hints are loussy !).... and, i think, a very nice interpretation (okay, some overdub here).

with regards

Mr. Bassman

I guess I know where to look at... need to search a bit.

EDIT: mhh, I cannot find Charlie Mariano playing baritone Sax with Ilg which could make that the answer to who's playing on track 4... would have been a nice try. Isn't there a new CD of that Ilg&Mariano duo out since summer ? Maybe its from there.

:g Oh, this Ilg-research seams to be really difficult.... no Ilg on track 4. I don't know this new recording you mention, maybe i will look forward to that one.

keep on searching.... :)

with regards

Mr. Bassman

... i would say.... you are on a hot track! But i think... there is a lot of respect for that tune.... This is the right version not the Mister M. version :g And if you would know, who arranged that version !

.....with regards

Mr. Bassman

ok, I buy one Michael and one Gibbs from here and more http://www.toene.at/uajo/

Edited by tjobbe

.....with regards

Mr. Bassman

ok, I buy one Michael and one Gibbs from here and more http://www.toene.at/uajo/

Yes, this is not that bad, as the scotsmen would say.... but... there is still a secret.... MG made the arrangements, but for our tune here (and for another tune, too), he made only an adaption, this secret can not be found on the linkes pages... it is in the liner notes of the CD (they take an extra page only for that specific infomation) and that Info was another reason to choose this tune, i had not expected this. Maybe it could be unmasked by you or anyone else ???

Edited by Mr. Bassman

BFT 42 DISC 1

1 A German Word Jazz. Nice poem. Nice start to a bass feature.

2 CC – “Everything I’ve got belongs to you” – the only “disc where Oscar flubbed a note”. I’ve LOVED CC” since 1960. Thank you for including this Mr B. :wub:

Actually, I've always wondered whether Oscar really did miss a note and if C actually improvised that line, and the one following, or whether it was all worked out in advance.

3 Funky “In the mood”. Must be a German Radio band. A live performance. The drummer is really kicking during the guitarist’s solo. I like the guitarist and trumpeter, but for me the drummer’s the star. And the arranger. Love the growling trumpet section!

4 Bass & bari duet. Bass man establishes a very good mood from the outset. And the sax doesn’t disappoint, when that comes in. The baritone player sounds like someone I ought to recognise. Perhaps it’s Joe Temperley, he says, without much confidence. Whoever it is, this is a lovely piece of music. Yeah!

5 Very boppish tune that I don’t recognise. The sound of the recording seems quite ‘40s-ish to me. But the playing time indicates that it must have been recorded in the LP era. Oh and the bass player has very modern chops. No idea who these people are. Not my sort of thing, but not something I screw my nose up at, either.

6 The tune sounds a bit musicianly. Sax player sounds like Joe Henderson on a quiet day. Perhaps it’s Bennie Maupin. Just time for a ciggy before this track ends.

7 Piano trio. Good stuff, I guess, but it really doesn’t get to me. Someone played me a Bill Evans record once, about 40 years ago. This feels like that did.

8 “Cherokee”. Vibes – Lionel Hampton? Tenor player – more modern, but this was still the era when everyone played together. Piano – tons of chops in the left hand – Tatum or Hines? I really like this. It’s from a big gap in my collection.

9 Modern tenor & rhythm. Nowt here for me, I’m afraid. Just sittin’ here.

10 Film soundtrack music. Black & white film from the forties. The hero’s running through ill-lit streets, being chased by the baddies. He keeps looking back, ducking around corners, pausing to gasp for breath. Then he’s off again! He manages to keep his trilby on the whole time, however – no mean feat! He’s slowing down, but he’s found somewhere to hole up.

The baddies race off into the night in the wrong direction.

11 Drums, bass and cello. And guitar. Sounds a lot like an exercise in all four musicians’ technique, to me. There’s something familiar about some of the riffs – country feel to some of the guitar figures.

12 This starts off as though it’s going to be familiar, then it isn’t. Pianist feels a bit like Harold Mabern in a modern mood.

13 Electric trombone? How does he make those funny sounds? I love that trombonist, but can’t say the same for the alto player, the pianist, or the tune.

14 Really don’t like this one.

15 Sounds like a Christmas carol. Or a medley of carols. Like this one. Nice ending.

Lots of stuff I’ve enjoyed in this one Mr B. Thanks for putting them all together.

MG

Oops - edited to remove the singer in trck 2 - sorry, forgot.

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

2: CC, & surely you picked this because of her wry tip of the hat to Mr OP! Track 9 here. ........(isn't this the one with "Moon Ray"? Sublime!).

Oh yeah! Moon Ray leaves me in awe each and every time I listen to it!

Me too! And not just for the singer, though she swings impossibly.

MG