Harry Carney

Chuck Nessa

What are your favourite Carney moments? What are his finest moments with Ellington? Most loved solos?

Among all the great moments, the one that always comes up first in my mind is the opening to Ko-Ko from the Blanton/Webster band. Those roaring low Eb's, with that huge, warm vibrato!

Guest Bill Barton

This thread reminds me of the first "major" concert I ever attended. It was the Duke Ellington Orchestra at Dartmouth College. I knew enough about the band at that time (1971 or 1972, not sure which) to request a front-row seat directly in front of Harry Carney. That concert was a life-changing experience. Harry Carney was amazing...

Re-reading this thread reminded me that Carney co-wrote "Rockin' In Rhythm" something that had slipped my mind. One of my all-time favorites of the Ellington band.

Yes, and he has that great clarinet spot there... although he hardly variates it, I love to hear it! It's one of the most infectuous Ellington tunes!

On the Hodges concert from Berlin (on a Pablo 2CD set), Carney plays it on baritone sax for a change - pretty cool!

As a budding teenage jazz fan in the 70's, I had heard a few things by Ellington, but he was relatively far from my concerns at the time. I mean, there was Miles, there was Weather Report and Herbie and Chick, there was the Art Ensemble of Chicago and Anthony Braxton, there was Gary Burton with Metheny and Goodrick... I had gone further back, and had seen Art Blakey and Roy Haynes and Milt Jackson. But big band? That just seemed old hat. But I was diligent in my research nonetheless. When I got to college I noticed that the library had a record section; you weren't allowed to check much out, but you could sit and listen with headphones. I selected a collection of Ellington from the 30s and 40s and Carney just leaped out at me. I think it was "Sophisticated Lady". That combination of elegance and power, of passion and reserve. It was such a gorgeous sound. I was astounded at the riches that collection offered, while I had been ignoring it as old hat. Quite a lesson... Carney has been a hero ever since.