Hampton Hawes: "Blues For Bud".

Cliff Englewood

Ron S mentioned/recommended this one in the Concord Sale thread and oddly enough I had recently purchased this but hadn't listened to it. I put it on yesterday and was totally blown away by both the playing and the compositions, so I thought it should have a thread of it's own. I don't what it was about the session but Hawes is just so on his game, it's also some of the best Art Taylor I've heard as well.

I never really get too excited about piano trios for some reason but this one is something else. Highlights for me would be "Sonora", "Black Forest", "Children's Play" and "Spanish Steps" but the entire album is really excellent, and the sound is brilliant too, my edition says "24bit remastered" and although I have no idea if that's true or not it really does sound amazing.

As I said, very rarely do I enjoy piano trios as much as this one. Sprint, don't run, to the cash register if you ever see this one. :D:D:D

Here's the track list from Ron's link:

1. Blues Enough

2. Sonora 4:56

3. They Say It's Wonderful 3:23 **

4. Black Forest (Take 3) 6:07

5. Children's Play 9:17 **

6. Blues For Bud 6:58 **

7. Spanish Steps (Take 2) 3:17

8. Dangerous 4:29

9. My Romance 9:02

10. Spanish Steps (Take 1) 2:39 *

11. Black Forrest (Take 1) 5:43 *

HAMPTON HAWES (Piano)

JIMMY WOODE (Bass)

ARTHUR TAYLOR (Drums)

What they said. This album has huge nostalgia value for me, since Hamp's version of "My Romance", which I heard on a compilation disc some years ago, was instrumental in turning me into a jazz (and piano trio) enthusiast. "Spanish Steps" is now my favorite cut, though.

Sound-wise, I believe the remastering claim, as several cuts had previously appeared on 1201 Music "Hip Jazz-Bop" compilations, and I find the "remastered" sound a little better. There is a bit of distortion in places, however, so it's not perfect.

For a long time, cybermusicsurplus.com (discount branch of Allegro distributors) was liquidating titles on the "1201 Music" label, including "Blues for Bud". Might be worth checking if you're looking for the disc. I paid something like $4 (20% off promotion from a base of $5).

Edited by T.D.

Here's the 1201 Music page again, which includes a link to track samples.

Here is the post to which Cliff referred, which includes other Hawes recommendations . Although in a different musical vein, the other lesser known Hamton Hawes trio disc I strongly recommend is "Bird Song". And if you haven't sampled Hawes' '50's and '60's Contemporary recordings, do yourself a favor and do so. :tup

:tup I concur totally-this is a great session.I just listened to it last week.

Has anybody heard Hamp's solo cd "The Challenge" on Storyville?

I have been looking for this,where can I find it?

Never knew of a CD version of this. I have the LP, which is very good, but I think that Storyville has no more rights on that session - they licensed it from Japanese Victor.

luca