Horace Tapscott Sextet - Dial 'B' for Barbara on Nymbus West

Head Man

I received this a few days ago from Downtown Music Gallery and it's a stonker. Horace is on top form playing three lengthy pieces and is very well backed up by Reggie Bullen (trumpet), Gary Bias (alto & soprano saxes), Sabir Matten (tenor sax), Roberto Miguel Mirand (bass) & Everett Brown Jnr (drums).

None of the horn players are known to me but they play beautifully and I can only assume they were local players from LA. The recording was made in 1986 but like many of his Nymbus West releases, little further information is given.

It's the only recording I have by him playing in a sextet and is definitely recommended to anyone who enjoys the music of this unique musician.

I will definitely have to pick this up.

Guy

Me too. :excited:

BTW head man, Sabir Matten has gone on to have a very artistically successful career after Horace. He played with Sun Ra for a bit (being from Philly), then in the NY subways and beyond with TEST, sessions with Hamid Drake, Daniel Carter and others.