Family

Stefan Wood

It's amazes me that this group did not make a dent in the US music pop culture. I first became aware of this group by reading a review in Mike Stax's entertaining magazine Ugly Things, many years ago. I think it was a review for the double cd "Music in the Doll's House/Family Entertainment." I remember buying it, loving the music but hating the voice, and sold it thereafter. Some years passed, and I stumbled across a copy of "Fearless," and for a buck, I got it, played it and loved it. Roger Chapman has one of the most distinctive voices in rock (I never heard a man bleat before, but Chapman has a tremendous voice), and both he and Charlie Whitney are a great songwriting team. I've been listening to "Bandstand" a lot lately, and I put it right up there with Abbey Road for sheer creativity and terrific music. Family is a relevation,and I'm thankful for the reissues that are available (UK only of course).

B0000C436Y.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116138600_.jpg

B0000C84LF.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116020917_.jpg

Rick Grech was in the band too - I think he was the first to leave tho,

but we later had him in Blind Faith and Traffic,

so that was probably a good thing for us.

Maybe not so good for him - short career paths for both bands

and then he died in '90 due to excessive drinking -

ahhhh, the sometimes life of the R 'n' Roller.

I remember that their LPs were issued in the U.S. by United Artists, and the covers had some great dye-cut graphics - covers that fold out in interesting ways. The "Fearless" cover had pages like a book, and the "Bandstand" cover had a big hole where the TV screen is. The paper was thin, though, so one had to be really careful refiling the LP. It was a great time for LP graphics - a lot of fun experimenting was going on.

I had "Fearless" when it came out, too. I like it a lot at the time, but eventually traded it in for some reason.

These albums have recently shown up on eMusic. I DL-d "Fearless" and found that I still like it and have heard lots of stuff that totally went over my head the first time around. John Wetton contributed to this album, as well.

"Bandstand" is in my 'Save for later' qeue.

What are you getting hot n bothered about this time? you dont think chewy knows about Family? i know all about Family- it was the band John Wetton as in before King Crimson (and this, UK and Asia and Wetton as well- dont forget the Wetton/Manzanera lp) AAANNNYYYWWWAYS- ive never actually seen a family record- so i dont have any. but what i DO have is Family video bootleg live on the BBC or old grey whilste test or somethin like that- what is the best lp of theirs 2 get? are any on cd? i also know how when yes were 1st starting their 1st sort of goal (according 2 lead singers acct.) was to become as sucessful as Family, who were playing the club circuits and small regional tours n shit--

BUT I DONT WANNA GET THE MORE ACOUSTIC FOLKY ONES WHAT FAMILY LP ROCKS THE MOST???

What are you getting hot n bothered about this time? you dont think chewy knows about Family? i know all about Family- it was the band John Wetton as in before King Crimson (and this, UK and Asia and Wetton as well- dont forget the Wetton/Manzanera lp) AAANNNYYYWWWAYS- ive never actually seen a family record- so i dont have any. but what i DO have is Family video bootleg live on the BBC or old grey whilste test or somethin like that- what is the best lp of theirs 2 get? are any on cd? i also know how when yes were 1st starting their 1st sort of goal (according 2 lead singers acct.) was to become as sucessful as Family, who were playing the club circuits and small regional tours n shit--

BUT I DONT WANNA GET THE MORE ACOUSTIC FOLKY ONES WHAT FAMILY LP ROCKS THE MOST???

Hey chewy - quick aside, this might be of interest to you. Rick Wakeman was on the TV last night over here. Programme called 'Grumpy Old Men' :D

Edited by sidewinder