Hank's Other Soul

CJ Shearn

ok, so I dumped this topic here. But I guess as a jaded hard bop listener, this tune really perked me up and along with "Cool Struttin" and "Walkin" (Miles' original '54 version) to me typifies what hard bop is about. I love how Hank found a hip way of putting his own spin on "It Ain't Necessarily So". While I'm at it, is "Out of Joe's Bag" also on "Another Workout" based on "Freedom Jazz Dance"?

Edited by CJ Shearn

!?

what you gotta remember is that b4 there was hard bop there was BE bop, and about hank, well hank grew up on bebop. Some of you might not know this, but young hank, aged 22, even shared the bandstand with charles "the bird" parker- the man himself. later in life hank was mad about how his jazz universe completely screwed him over the same way it happened to bird in the early 50s.

While I'm at it, is "Out of Joe's Bag" also on "Another Workout" based on "Freedom Jazz Dance"?

I'm listening to it right now, and I can't hear any similarities, neither in rhythm nor structure.

But I COMPLETELY agree about how "Hank's Other Soul" brings to mind "It Ain't Necessarily So." In fact, I hadn't really noticed until you mentioned it. Good call!

Edited by Big Al

I've been digging Miles' Blackhawk recordings lately, and I must say ole Hank really shines, as does Wynton Kelly. Hell, they're all in top form! I don't understand how Mobley has the reputation he does; he's one of the most uncessarily maligned players I can think of. But his reply to Miles' alleged criticism was something to the effect of "If Miles thought enough of my playing to hire me, and he told me he liked what I was doing, then that's good enough for me." The man is flat out cookin' on Blakey's Cafe Bohemia records, and he really shows his strength as a baladeer on "Alone Together." He has melodicism to spare, has a smooth, well-roundd tone, is near-perfect in his solo construction and has serious chops when needs to call on a bit of flash. Maybe the problem people have with him is that he's too good; to hear him play, it all sounds so effortless! All this "middleweight champion" stuff is just back-handed put-downs. But he really doesn't need the unanimous praise of the jazz intelligentsia; the man is well-recorded and has volumes to speak for his legacy.