David Torn, Prezens

Guy Berger

I knew nothing of Torn until I got Prezens through BMG for $6-something. Immediately I thought of Robert Fripp. Is there any connection between the two, besides the Levin/Bruford bands?

Torn and the band from Prezens will be playing the Edgefest in Ann Arbor this October; I think I'll check them out

• 2 years later...

I listened to this album for the first time in a while and I love it man.

Torn is playing in Brooklyn in a few days.

from the NY Times:

Aarses (Thursday) The guitarist David Torn, the alto saxophonist Tim Berne and the drummer Ches Smith make up this improvising trio, grounded in textural exploration and concussive power. At 8 p.m., Littlefield, 622 Degraw Street, between Third and Fourth Avenues, Gowanus, Brooklyn , (718) 855-3388, littlefieldnyc.com; $10. (Nate Chinen)

FB gig notice, David Torn FB page.

• 8 months later...

"Levin Torn White" due out in September. White as in Alan. Could be interesting!

A few months ago, you were asking me what Torn's up to and here's one project that's seeing the light of day. I'm been meaning to mention this here for a while.

He's also been doing shows with the drummer from the Bad Plus. There was a whole show on Soundcloud and now I can't find it, I'll try to look again later.

Edited by 7/4

He's also been doing shows with the drummer from the Bad Plus. There was a whole show on Soundcloud and now I can't find it, I'll try to look again later.

ah...here we go: kingtorn live in nyc...david king & david torn duet

Pretty cool. Thanks. It's giving me an appreciation for Torn that the album wasn't able to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

As far as I can tell, this album will feature Torn, Tim Berne, Craig Taborn and Tom Rainey.

I'm only familiar with Torn from his contributions to Bill Bruford and Tony Levin's Upper Extremities.

Guy

OK, I finally listened to this for the first time! (Gradually working my way through a huge backlog.) Wow, this is fantastic!!! Highly recommended.