Luisito Quintero - PERCUSSION MADNESS

JSngry

And I'm sure that this is strictly a matter of personal taste (i.e. - no sense arguing about it), but I thoroughly enjoyed the few "poppish" tracks. There's a lot of this going on in the "dance underground", Afro/Latin/Brazillian grooves being brought into the mix, and unlike such attempts of decades past (remember Manolo Badrena's solo lp on A&M?), I'm hearing/feeling assimilation w/o extermination. To me, that's a healthy thing, especially when you consider the possibilities of the opposite dynamic as it's being played out culturally across the world today. Sure, you lose a bit of "native authenticity", but what's gained in terms of society moving ahead is not to be dismissed, I think. Staying seperate except by destructive means is going to prove to be impossible for almost all of us, and coming together is just so damn....easy if we just relax, let it happen, and keep it on the good side spiritually.

You're right once more, Jim - I hate to loose some of the "old" stuff, but you got to make room for something "new" to happen ....

Those poppish Quintero tracks are damn good examples of crossover!

Edited by mikeweil

• 7 months later...

"Percussion Madness Revisited"

emusic new release link of remixes.

11084937_155_155.jpeg

edit: not just a remix thing at all. a whole new look at some tunes and a healthy addition of more. (check that brief solo @ 3:20 of the long MAW-esque "Free My Soul" and tell if that's Ruiz ? a bit too recent , still beautiful!)

nice little (inter)view here.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Louie Vega is a pretty interesting cat, I think. Hector Lavoe's nephew, world-class DJ/remixer/etc, very organically brings the two worlds together. Dance music (especially the best of the vintage disco - and yes, there is such a thing as "good disco") has long had a lot of Latin underpinnings, so it's really not that big of a stretch to do what Vega's been doing. Otoh, Latin music has always had a staunchly conservative side to it, so Vega's willingness to break the clave from time to time in the service of a club groove might be seen as pretty radical.

But ultimately, who cares? When the results are as consistently interesting to listen to and fun to move to as what Louie Vega's been coming out with, I sure don't!