Advice sought re: Coltrane's "Live Trane" set.

Bol

Thanks to your recommendations, I've been listening to "Birdland" and "Crescent". I've had these for a while, but have not really listened to them seriously. So far, so better. "Crescent" in particular seems much better than I remember it. Will continue to listen for a couple of days before making up my mind about the box set. Thanks again.

Yeah, but only on cassette. Some buddies from around the country have sent me a variety of material.

I'm sure it's in no way a comprehensive account of the live '65 material though.

Try to get a hold on a performance from the Half Note called "Creation". A remarkable performance, even by '65 Coltrane standards. I think the sky opened.

Guy

Yeah, but only on cassette. Some buddies from around the country have sent me a variety of material.

I'm sure it's in no way a comprehensive account of the live '65 material though.

Try to get a hold on a performance from the Half Note called "Creation". A remarkable performance, even by '65 Coltrane standards. I think the sky opened.

Guy

Um, was that ever released on a smaller label?

My good friend Ras Moshe sent me a couple of cassettes that were recorded at the Half Note in '65 that he said were in circulation on a smaller label way back and it was a 3 LP set. The playlist IS different than the recently released One Down, One Up on Impulse!

I don't know if it's the same as you're talking about, but I can say it is one incredibly smoking set!

Guy

Um, was that ever released on a smaller label?

My good friend Ras Moshe sent me a couple of cassettes that were recorded at the Half Note in '65 that he said were in circulation on a smaller label way back and it was a 3 LP set. The playlist IS different than the recently released One Down, One Up on Impulse!

I don't know if it's the same as you're talking about, but I can say it is one incredibly smoking set!

Damn right! I'm not sure why Verve decided not to issue "Creation" on the recent Half Note set, but they really shortchanged listeners by leaving off the best performance. You probably have it on your cassettes -- it's from April 2, 1965.

Guy

Thanks to your recommendations, I've been listening to "Birdland" and "Crescent". I've had these for a while, but have not really listened to them seriously. So far, so better. "Crescent" in particular seems much better than I remember it.

I love Crescent now more than I ever had before. These reasons have been detailed somewhat elsewhere on the board... :rolleyes:

Thanks to your recommendations, I've been listening to "Birdland" and "Crescent". I've had these for a while, but have not really listened to them seriously. So far, so better. "Crescent" in particular seems much better than I remember it.

I love Crescent now more than I ever had before. These reasons have been detailed somewhat elsewhere on the board... :rolleyes:

I actually prefer Crescent to ALS.

Guy - I'll have to dig out the tapes and check the dates.