SESAC Label?

Dan Gould

I just got an update list from one of my record dealers and I spotted this title and description:

SESAC PA-231/2 Tyree Glenn Just A Minute!(DJ) VG+++ 25.00

(Above LP also feat. Sy Oliver,Joe Newman,Clark Terry,Seldon Powell,George Barnes,& others - this LP was only sent to radio stations in the U.S. in 1959 - never sold in stores!)

So, I inquired as to what he means by "never sold in stores" and this was his response:

"The LP only went to radio stations back in '59 -

there were NO copies available for record stores - the only way you could get

this LP(and there were others like it on the SESAC label) was to get it from a

radio station - this label is highly sought after by collectors because there

were NO copies ever sold in stores"

So, my question is, can anyone shed any light on this label?

Another item on SESAC is the 1960 Billy Taylor Trio (with Henry Grimes and Ray Mosca) "Custom Taylored" which later came out on Riverside under the title "Warming Up" (and on Fresh Sound under the original title). Details in the Henry Grimes discography on my website. For some reason BT used his wife's name as composer. Not sure why pseudonyms were used for transcription dates (because on this, the *player* is listed as Billy Taylor - it's just the *composer* who is "Teddi Taylor").

In the jazz world, Chico Hamilton did a record for SESAC with Dolphy. As did Barbara Carroll, Warren Covington, Don Elliott, Hank Garland, Terry Gibbs, Bobby Hackett, Elliott Lawrence, Marian McPartland, Sy Oliver, Don Redman, Bill Russo, Eddie Safranski, Charlie Shavers, and others. Some but not all of these have come out, usually on bootleg labels. But the original issues are indeed collectors items for the reasons described earlier.

Recently Billy Taylor talked about these and said it was nice because to make money you could do gigs, do record dates, AND do radio transcription dates.

Some info on transcriptions here:

http://otrsite.com/articles/artwb006.html

Mike

In the jazz world, Chico Hamilton did a record for SESAC with Dolphy. As did Barbara Carroll, Warren Covington, Don Elliott, Hank Garland, Terry Gibbs, Bobby Hackett, Elliott Lawrence, Marian McPartland, Sy Oliver, Don Redman, Bill Russo, Eddie Safranski, Charlie Shavers, and others

So did Mr. Ellington.

Thanks for the info, guys.

When I realized Jim has a copy I tried to contact the seller to cancel the order but I doubt I caught him in time, so now I'll have a decision to make, whether to send the LP back when it arrives or go ahead and open it. I don't know-somehow the idea of minute long tracks isn't all that appealing. But maybe I can turn it around on ebay and actually clear some cash out of it.

A very worthy Sesac date was the Don Redman All Stars. These were issued on two LPs by the French label Vogue back in 1979

in their Jazz Legacy series. The two LPs has twenty tracks (mostly around 3 minutes, except for one 1m19 feature for Osie Johnson).

The big band includes people like Charlie Shavers, Joe Wilder, Jimmy Cleveland, Coleman Hawkins, Al Cohn, Hank Jones and others.

Shavers, Hawkins, Hank Jones are among the featured soloists.

Since Fresh Sounds is reissuing some Sesac sessions (Elliot Lawrence, Charlie Shavers, Chico Hamilton among others) maybe they could

tackle these Don Redman sessions soon?

• 2 years later...

A very worthy Sesac date was the Don Redman All Stars. These were issued on two LPs by the French label Vogue back in 1979

in their Jazz Legacy series. The two LPs has twenty tracks (mostly around 3 minutes, except for one 1m19 feature for Osie Johnson).

The big band includes people like Charlie Shavers, Joe Wilder, Jimmy Cleveland, Coleman Hawkins, Al Cohn, Hank Jones and others.

Since Fresh Sounds is reissuing some Sesac sessions (Elliot Lawrence, Charlie Shavers, Chico Hamilton among others) maybe they could

This one?

c4074.jpg

F

Another one I´m interested in is the Coleman Hawkins-led session, originally called "The Hawk and the Hunter" and reissued on CD by Fresh Sound Records as "Hawk Talk" [ FSRCD 130]. Just curious, as it features Frank Hunter´s Orchestra, with strings.

Anyone´s got this one? Should I put it on my (ever-growing) wish list? :rolleyes:

This one?

c4074.jpg

F

Yep, that one!

• 2 weeks later...

Another item on SESAC is the 1960 Billy Taylor Trio (with Henry Grimes and Ray Mosca) "Custom Taylored" which later came out on Riverside under the title "Warming Up" ...

Mike

On my SESAC copy of Custom taylored a short notice is printed on the back cover: This entire LP is available on Riverside Records - RLP 12-339

Does it mean Riverside released Warming up prior to Custom taylored (not later)? If so, why this additional release on SESAC???

BTW, I would never part with my SESAC copy. The thick cardboard cover looks very nice and the heavy vinyl sounds brilliant.

"Designed for repeated listening" is printed on the label. That's true!!!