Baker/Mulligan Qt. "Comp. Recordings" (Definitive Records)

jeffsjazz

not that I knew, but liners are likely crappy, graphics a bit better, and sound probably a rip-off of some previous box set of the same music (it was on BN, too, no? I only have the single discs, never got any complete set).

Anyway, the music is quite nice (actually more than that), but you can also get it by buying the 2CD Original Quartet disc (probably OOP, though) and adding the rest by getting the Mulligan/Konitz and Reunion disc. What you'll miss then (that one I miss, too) is the collaboration with Annie Ross.

And there's also a GNP disc, plus a Fantasy disc, that have some more quartet tracks (the GNP adds a larger Mulligan date and the Fantasy adds a Chubby Jackson date).

Of course you can get the Definitive box and add the GNP and Fantasy discs, too...

I'll testify to the music - desert island stuff for me, no doubt - I have the older BN 4 disc set - superb.

I think the 2disc BN/PJ set is still in print - I know I see it around fairly regularly - at least get that.

The Annie Ross and Reunion sets are on the Gerry Mulligan Mosaic Select - so get the 2 disc, the Select, and the Konitz and you're good to go domestically and with better overall quality if I had to guess. A little more $$$, but the music is priceless.

Edited by Aftab

I think the 2disc BN/PJ set is still in print - I know I see it around fairly regularly - at least get that.

Yes, I'm sure it is. Still see it in the racks quite regularly.

That set would be my recommendation. Part of the 'West Coast Classics' series I think - and up to the usual high production standards of that series.