whatmusic

Guest donald petersen

Guest donald petersen

i just now discovered whatmusic which seems to be a label out of england supplying via dgroove and their own site and cdbabi.

on cursory glance, there is for instance and i am now going to screw up peoples names but there is an eero krisovinsen album and a fernando galibard album and a jorge ruiz lopez album and a charles mariano album too that look promising as well as stuff by maybe chivaro borvavaro or something. i need to go back to the site, but anyways...anyone like anything on this label?

I have a few of their Bossa and Brazilian jazz things, which are quite obscure. They carry a ton of them, but I think they tend not to be the cream of the crop... not even the obscure crop. Anyway, I'm glad they exist, let's put it that way. What really impresses me is their research dept. They really go deep into the artists' histories, and they provide (or at least they used to... haven't looked in quite awhile) extensive liner notes for each recording on the website.

Guest donald petersen

oh hmmm. the eero krisovensen or whatever album looks kinda interesting and i actually listened to the entire charles mariano album via nefarious ways and it is pretty good. i also listened to the whole fernando gelbard album this way and it is also pretty good.

They have a wide range of artists, with the best being from Brazil. But they are the ones who reissued Collier's Deep Dark Blue Centre and a few other key British jazz albums. They cut a deal with emusic a while back, and much of their output is there. This is especially good news for some of their OOP CDs, which they added as mp3s. I have 10 to 12 of their CDs and maybe another 5 albums as downloads.

ejp, but are there any in particular that you would recommend?

It really depends on the kind of music you like -- they mostly either have Brazilian or kind of eclectic freak-out jazz. I haven't regretted anything I bought.

Probably the best is Collier's Deep Dark Blue Centre,

then Paulo Moura Quarteto

Charlie Mariano - Reflections

Alberto Favero - Suite Trane

Jacques & Micheline Pelzer Quartet - Song For Rene [this has a nice version of Naima on it]

They have a few compilations they sell (and may be on emusic) which might be a good way to get a feel for what you would like.

I've got a huge backlog on emusic to work through, but eventually I'll see if they have some new releases and download those.