Azimuth (the band)

six string

I really like John Taylor a lot but didn't know about this band until last year. I was in one of my local stores today and someone dumped a bunch of ECM lps on them. Among them were three Azimuth albums, so I bought the first one. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but will tonight. Should I go back and buy the other two? I just ordered the Charlie Haden/John Taylore lp on NAIM and I can't wait until that one hits my front door.

Azymuth is funky, heavy on the sythesizers. I like them, I have the album Telecommunication. My favorite song is "The House I Lived In/Prelude." Odd to put a prelude on the end!

I also have a song called "Dear Limmertz" on a compilation which is pretty cool.

I really like John Taylor a lot but didn't know about this band until last year. I was in one of my local stores today and someone dumped a bunch of ECM lps on them. Among them were three Azimuth albums, so I bought the first one. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but will tonight. Should I go back and buy the other two? I just ordered the Charlie Haden/John Taylore lp on NAIM and I can't wait until that one hits my front door.

my favorite, by far of this winstone,(husband)taylor,kenny wheeler collaboration, the first they recorded about 35 years ago is the 'touchstone.' subsequent recordings have been fine, but dont equal touchstone. the empathy between vocals, piano-keyboards, and trumpet-flugel is astounding, that is if you like chamber jazz.

beautiful beautiful. in fact i bought another german pressing just in case.

of my 5000 recordings, this one is securely in my top 10. end of rant.

by the way, taylor has a sumptuous new trio disc, not on ecm.

speaking of naim, check out their gorgeous beautifully recorded charlie haden-chris anderson duo recording from some years ago. if you dig the sensitivity of john taylor, you will LOVE chris anderson.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

my favorite, by far of this winstone,(husband)taylor,kenny wheeler collaboration, the first they recorded about 35 years ago is the 'touchstone.' subsequent recordings have been fine, but dont equal touchstone. the empathy between vocals, piano-keyboards, and trumpet-flugel is astounding.

my the way, taylor has a sumptuous new trio disc, not on ecm.

Touchstone is one of the other lps I left behind. The other one has 1985 in the title. I'm going to listen to the eponymous album I bought and may go back for Touchstone.

my favorite, by far of this winstone,(husband)taylor,kenny wheeler collaboration, the first they recorded about 35 years ago is the 'touchstone.' subsequent recordings have been fine, but dont equal touchstone. the empathy between vocals, piano-keyboards, and trumpet-flugel is astounding, that is if you like chamber jazz.

by the way, taylor has a sumptuous new trio disc, not on ecm.

speaking of naim, check out their gorgeous beautifully recorded charlie haden-chris anderson duo recording from some years ago. if you dig the sensitivity of john taylor, you will LOVE chris anderson.

Thanks for that, but I already have the Chris Anderson album. Speaking of him, you probably already know about his solo album on Mapleshade, Love Locked Out. It's really great too. Have you heard is trio album on Jazzland called Inverted Image? I don't know if it's ever been released on cd before, but it's worth seeking out.

i love love locked out. thanks for the inverted image tip.

my favorite, by far of this winstone,(husband)taylor,kenny wheeler collaboration, the first they recorded about 35 years ago is the 'touchstone.' subsequent recordings have been fine, but dont equal touchstone. the empathy between vocals, piano-keyboards, and trumpet-flugel is astounding.

There's also a fine ECM LP with Tony Coe in place of Kenny Wheeler - sort of an 'honourary' Azimuth. All of the ECMs are well worth having IMO.

Saw that group many years ago (1987?) at an early incarnation of the Bath Festival in Georgian suroundings. Superb !

There's also a fine ECM LP with Tony Coe in place of Kenny Wheeler - sort of an 'honourary' Azimuth. All of the ECMs are well worth having IMO.

Saw that group many years ago (1987?) at an early incarnation of the Bath Festival in Georgian suroundings. Superb !

coe/didnt noe/thanks!!!

Azymuth is funky, heavy on the sythesizers. I like them, I have the album Telecommunication. My favorite song is "The House I Lived In/Prelude." Odd to put a prelude on the end!

I also have a song called "Dear Limmertz" on a compilation which is pretty cool.

That's the Brazilian band Azymuth with José Roberto Bertami et al., not the Brits with John Taylor, Norma Winstone, and Kenny Wheeler.

Guest donald petersen

i think noj knew that and was just having some fun!

though i do agree that "dear limmeritz" is a great song.

the first azimuth album (the tan one with the buoy on it) is very beautiful.

i think noj knew that and was just having some fun!

though i do agree that "dear limmeritz" is a great song.

the first azimuth album (the tan one with the buoy on it) is very beautiful.

No, actually I'm just a nincompoop. :lol:

• 4 years later...

I love this band. A very, very individual take on jazz. Probably too serene for some.

I'd strongly recommend these two discs that set Azimuth in the context of a Canadian big band. Largely revisiting tunes on the trio albums but giving a different context. If you know Kenny Wheeler's big band records you'll know what to expect:

51cHN4lP6ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg51KVOapUV3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I read somewhere recently that Norman Winstone is 70 this year! Hard to credit - she still sounds light as a feather.