Jazz in Austin Texas

medjuck

About the only record store left in town that's got much of a selection is Waterloo Records, at 6th and Lamar.

You missed the "Global Percussion Masters" (Zakir Hussain, Giovanni Hidalgo, Terry Bozzio) at the One World Theatre by one night.

Our own soulstream (Mike Flanigin) may be playing with his B3 trio at the Continental Club this weekend.

Eugene Chadbourne is playing tomorrow night at the Hole in the Wall.

Lucinda Williams is at Stubbs tomorrow night as well.

I'd suggest checking out Ephraim Owens group on Saturday night at The Elephant Room (315 Congress Ave.) The Matt Wilson that was suggested above is NOT the Matt Wilson we're thinking of. That place called JAZZ on 6th street is ironically anything but jazz for the most part, and not a destination I would suggest. I'm playing at a place called the Continental Gallery, it's upstairs next to the Continental Club on south Congress. Fri-Sun...10:30-1ish and no cover. Also, pick up The Austin Chronicle when you get to town. It's a freebee and is easy to pick up most restaurants, ect. It'll have all the listings around town. I think Pintop Perkins who's in his 90's and used to play with Muddy Waters is doing an early show at Antone's today (Thursday). Have fun and eat some Mexican food (Guero's on S. Congress and Maria's Taco Stand on S. Lamar or Taco Deli on Barton Skyway are good bets for that...if you don't mind a wait check Chuy's on Barton Springs Road)!

I'd suggest checking out Ephraim Owens group on Saturday night at The Elephant Room (315 Congress Ave.) The Matt Wilson that was suggested above is NOT the Matt Wilson we're thinking of. That place called JAZZ on 6th street is ironically anything but jazz for the most part, and not a destination I would suggest. I'm playing at a place called the Continental Gallery, it's upstairs next to the Continental Club on south Congress. Fri-Sun...10:30-1ish and no cover. Also, pick up The Austin Chronicle when you get to town. It's a freebee and is easy to pick up most restaurants, ect. It'll have all the listings around town. I think Pintop Perkins who's in his 90's and used to play with Muddy Waters is doing an early show at Antone's today (Thursday). Have fun and eat some Mexican food (Guero's on S. Congress and Maria's Taco Stand on S. Lamar or Taco Deli on Barton Skyway are good bets for that...if you don't mind a wait check Chuy's on Barton Springs Road)!

And if you can afford it and want real Mexican food, check out Fonda San Miguel. Like going on vacation. Great food.

Edited by jazzbo

Glad to see you posting again S!

I'm coping mi amigo.

Been quite a stressy time for me the last 18 months or so. . . . Building stamina and tolerance in me unwillingly.

I don't get out to jazz much here in Austin. Looking forward to seeing Rickie Lee Jones at the end of the month.

I had a gareat time in Austin though I never did hear any live music. But I did have 2 nice jazz experiences:

1) Walknig through the Hilton lobby I realised that the Muzak being played was Mingus performing Fables of Faubus! Then I noticed that the Muzak alwasy seemed to be jazz of some sort though often so muted I couldn't make it out.

2) Saw the restored Imagine the Sound now in stereo (the DVD will be 5.1 surround). The performances by Cecil Taylor, Bill Dixon, Paul Bley and Archie Shepp are even better than I remembered. Interesting response from the audience: several people said they'd never heard music like that before and really liked it, or that they'd never paid much attention to jazz but this turned them on to it.

Edited by medjuck