BN vinyl reissues

porcy62

You know, speaking naively for a moment, issuing vinyl in the 50s and 60s was not rocket science, and, assuming that the session tapes are in good shape (and many are, which is not bad after so many decades), they ought to be able to put out an LP today that is just as good as the originals.

If there really was a magic, hooded monks' secret involved when Rudy made the LP masters, which I don't really believe anyway, then why not just check in with Rudy? I don't see why he wouldn't want today's LPs to sound good.

There are all those Prestige reissues on 45rpm vinyl. $50 a go! WTF?

How do you get an LP's worth of music onto a 45rpm 12" - and have it come out half decent?

MG

These are 2 LP 45 rpm sets.

Exactly... and 45 rpm are supposed to have a wider dynamic range...and you have to be wider dynamic to move your ass from the sofa and turn the record after 10 minutes... :D

Edited by porcy62

How do you get an LP's worth of music onto a 45rpm 12" - and have it come out half decent?

MG

Exactly... and 45 rpm are supposed to have a wider dynamic range...and you have to be wider dynamic to move your ass from the sofa and turn the record after 10 minutes... :D

Of course, if you pressed them with side 1/4 and 2/3, you could put them on an autochanger...

:g

MG

MG

Of course, if you pressed them with side 1/4 and 2/3, you could put them on an autochanger...

:g

MG

No way, it wouldn't be "audiophile" :g

Many of the 45rpm 2LP sets are the best sounding currently available releases of these classic albums, in any format.

The editions are limited to 1000 copies of each title, and they sell fast. So they are actually a good investment, especially if you own a decent turntable :)

Many of the 45rpm 2LP sets are the best sounding currently available releases of these classic albums, in any format.

The editions are limited to 1000 copies of each title, and they sell fast. So they are actually a good investment, especially if you own a decent turntable :)

I know it, but I am too lazy for them, though I have some. :D

Btw, the 33 rpm Analogue reissues are good sounding too and they are cheaper. I always prefer their mastering then the Classics one.

Edited by porcy62

The 33rpm LPs have different mastering. Sometimes it is dramitically different.

For "Way out west", Steve Hoffman mastered the 45rpm release, and Dough Sax the 33rpm LP and the SACD. Sax added some reverb during the mastering, while the Hoffman mastering sounds completely dry and therefore much more realistic.

So it's the mastering that makes the 45rpm superior, and not so much the higher speed.

I personally would prefer to hear those albums with Steve Hoffman's mastering on SACD (which would also be considerably cheaper), but it's very difficult for audiophile labels to license these titles for SACD release.

The 33rpm LPs have different mastering. Sometimes it is dramitically different.

For "Way out west", Steve Hoffman mastered the 45rpm release, and Dough Sax the 33rpm LP and the SACD. Sax added some reverb during the mastering, while the Hoffman mastering sounds completely dry and therefore much more realistic.

So it's the mastering that makes the 45rpm superior, and not so much the higher speed.

I personally would prefer to hear those albums with Steve Hoffman's mastering on SACD (which would also be considerably cheaper), but it's very difficult for audiophile labels to license these titles for SACD release.

I see, but frankly, I am too lazy to compare different masterings, and I should do it myself on my system, so that would mean I should buy two vinyls of the same record, that makes 20+50+20% import taxes, total 100 $ for a record, at this price I could get most of the original pressings on the yellow Bergenfield label, ( not the 50th NY :( ) Too much hassle for me and too much money for a reissue, but I understand your POV about SACD, though I don't have a SACD player.

About WAY OUT WEST I bought a true sealed :excited: original mono pressing from Ron Rambach a coulpe of years ago. I thought I payed 200/250 $ for it and I believe I have the best sounding copy you could get in the galaxy :)

and I believe I have the best sounding copy you could get in the galaxy :)

I've heard that there is a still-sealed mono copy on Alpha Centauri. :D

Have always been pretty happy with my black/gold stereo deepgroove of this title. Good enough for me, anyhow !

Not anymore I just destroyed the planet in order to increase the value of my copy. Didn't you feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced? Don't you fear something terrible has happened?

darth_vader_closeup.jpg

Edited by porcy62