Marsalis Music Honors Alvin Batiste

GA Russell

In 1967 I attended a daytime concert in which pianist Ellis Marsalis and his buddy clarinetist Alvin Batiste jammed with Roland Kirk! It was in a Catholic parish gymnasium in New Orleans. The crowd had a geat time. I remember in particular the enthusiasm which greeted Three For the Festival.

So now forty years later Marsalis's son Branford operates his own record label called Marsalis Music, and he is recording his friends from New Orleans. Batiste has been a college professor at Southern University, a black college in Baton Rouge, since he founded a jazz studies program there in 1969. He appeared on two Cannonball Adderley records in the 70s, Messiah and Lovers. But for the most part he has been on campus, not recording.

Marsalis Music Honors Alvin Batiste is his first recording in ten years. There are 10 songs totalling 64 minutes. The songs are Batiste originals except Skylark.

The group is made up of two young people, Lawrence Field on piano and Ricardo Rodriguez on bass, and Herlin Riley on drums. Both Field and Rodriguez hold their own, particularly Rodriguez.

Ed Perkins sings briefly on four tracks. He is not a great voice, but he swings and the vocals make a nice contribution to the album. Branford Marsalis plays on two songs (one tenor, one soprano). Russell Malone plays guitar on two tracks, including Skylark, the best cut of the album.

I have had this album for three weeks, and it has grown on me. This is modern jazz, not old-timey stuff. Most of the compositions are better than average.

But the star of the show is Herlin Riley on drums. He usually sounds as if there is also another guy playing percussion! Lots of that polythythmic New Orleans beat!

Too bad that this was not released in time for Mardi Gras. I'm sure that I'll be playing it a lot every year during the Mardi Gras season.

CD Universe says:

List Price $17.98; Their Price $14.04.

4 stars

Marsalis Music Honors Alvin Batiste is his first recording in ten years. There are 10 songs totalling 64 minutes. The songs are Batiste originals except Skylark.

Only eight of the ten songs are Batiste originals. "I Wonder Where Our Love Has Gone" is a Buddy Johnson tune.

i really enjoy alvin batiste.

when i graduated from college my wife surprised me with a trip to new orleans.

alvin batiste's columbia album had just been released and he was playing snug harbor while we were there.

my wife does not drink, and she is not into jazz, but that night she had a hurricane and indulged me by going to the show.

she was sound asleep within one song.

we still joke about it.