cable tv question

For years, I have used the services of cable tv without using the cable box, because I don't wan't all those premium channels etc., I just want better reception, living as I do in an apartment.

Recently however, I have begun to get a rather "snowy" picture (some interference is going on) on the channels which are lower numbers (2-9) while the higher channels appear to be better or fine.

A construction project is going on nearby but the problems persists into the evening after the construction appears to be over.

Anyone had this experience or have any suggestions? I dislike the idea of being forced to get and pay for the box when I won't be using all that it offers.

How old is your TV? And do you have a VCR hooked up in between the cable coming out of your wall and the TV? It sounds like the tuner in your TV (or in your VCR, if you have one hooked up like I described) might be starting to go bad. I had this happen to my previous TV, all of a sudden one day I couldn't get any cable channels at all. The cable tech came out and took one look at it and pronounced the TV tuner dead; I didn't believe him until he hooked up a small 9" portable he had with him for just such occasions and it worked fine. He said it's not uncommon for the lower-numbered channels to crap out on TV/VCR tuners, leaving the TV unable to receive cable signals since those signals are normally transmitted over channels 3 or 4. My workaround until I got another TV was to simply use the tuner in my VCR instead of the one in the TV.

Edited by Dave Garrett

I'd contact your cable company and have them come out and check the signal strength coming into your apartment. They may need to put a booster on their line somewhere. You're paying for their service, so they owe you a decent signal.

Yep.

There is also a chance that the construction may have moved or damaged a line as well.

Also, check the connections on your set and from the wall, make sure they are tight and secure.